Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy for not caring about keeping my hardwood flooring?

I really like the idea of rugs you throw in the wash. If I wasn’t also sensitive to almost all plastics, that is what we’d have everywhere.

Here
    https://ruggable.com/

There are lots of robot vacuums on the market now.

The carpet looks cleaner but in reality is much dirtier. When a wood floor looks clean, it is clean.

I really don't like carpet because of the difficulty keeping it clean, especially if you have dogs, or people that refuse to wipe their feet. It's not that I'm a clean freak or germaphobe, but I hate the look of stains and drabness. The only carpet I liked from a "clean" perspective was my avocado/gold shag carpet that was in the house when we moved in. It was probably NEVER clean, but at least it never looked dirty. . And now and then I would find interesting things that my teen-age sons dropped into it that you couldn't see, like cigarette butts and roach clips.

I do love hardwood, but you have to be nice to it as well, over the long run. Daily sweeping, not soaking it, watching pet stains, etc. I'm crushed because my son knocked over Tide in my "office" where the stacked W/D are and the detergent left a stain!!! How can a cleaner leave a stain? But now it looks like we're going to have to sand that spot at least.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I guess I will be a contrary voice here but having lived with lots of hardwood floors, I would counsel that you keep the hardwood and consider putting a floating floor over it if it would meet your needs better. I am considering doing that--would never remove the maple that is in my old house now but it would need to be patched and refinished and all I am trying to do is get it presentable enough to sell, and a floating floor would leave the wood safe and intact, but appeal more to the kind of family that might want to buy the house.

It would also withstand dog traffic much better so would fit our needs better at this point.

For caretaking wood or vinyl, I use a terry mop head mop where you just take the terry cover off and throw it in the wash. I wet it and put dish detergent and run it over the floor--really fast and easy.

We have both hardwood and vinyl pergo. The dogs have peed, pooped, threw up, chased each other and it all looks perfect. The people before us put pergo over the hardwood and we removed it. I sweep it weekly with the robot and mop it once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    I really like the idea of rugs you throw in the wash. If I wasn’t also sensitive to almost all plastics, that is what we’d have everywhere.

Here
    https://ruggable.com/
    I have recently noticed as being advertised and I think the concept is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I guess I will be a contrary voice here but having lived with lots of hardwood floors, I would counsel that you keep the hardwood and consider putting a floating floor over it if it would meet your needs better.
    I think that's a great idea. DH and I installed a floating Pergo floor over old vinyl tiles ourselves, and it worked great, and I found the idea that you could remove it so easily (and even re-sell it to someone else!) to be very appealing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Guess I am the odd one out here. I find wood floors COLD... living in the northern climes. We left the wood floor but covered with carpet. As it is, I cannot stay warm. I would rather be comfortable than fashionable, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Guess I am the odd one out here. I find wood floors COLD... living in the northern climes. We left the wood floor but covered with carpet. As it is, I cannot stay warm. I would rather be comfortable than fashionable, I guess.
    While wood floors are popular now, I certainly didnt get a sense from those here that is why they prefer them.

I despise our carpet. It is on our second floor but still filthy. We have cats who vomit, dogs who pee, cats who pee, dogs who vomit. It is stained and filthy. It is disgusting. I absolutely hate it but DH will not hear of pulling it up.

I spent three sessions trying to get the goddamn vacuum sweeper to work correctly this week and this was after DH had torn it apart at least twice. I was so disgusted I threw up my hands and came downstairs and got out my simple broom and dust pan to sweep the wood floors on the first floor because that is what I like —simplicity. I can even mop the floors down
    stairs and they will be clean of the latest set of puppy pee spots

I hope to move to Hermann and not maintain any vacuum sweeper for floors. Carpeting in our lifestyle is filthy.

Thread Information