Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Am I crazy for not caring about keeping my hardwood flooring?

We are big fans of hardwood floors and installed them ourselves throughout our home, although it's true they aren't as warm as carpets and we live in New England. I agree with what others have said that carpeting and rugs are never really clean and hard surfaces make a lot more sense with pets.

By my thinking you can get the best of both worlds using area rugs. You can choose how much of the good wood floor to show and how much of the floor you'd like to be warm and care for. The area rugs I've shopped for seem to be a little pricey for decent quality. My house was built in 1951 and when I pulled up the old carpet there were rooms that I don't think had ever had traffic and must have been carpeted shortly after the construction. That was a pretty nice bonus to work with. I think in the day they were lacquered rather than the modern finishes so they aren't wearing especially well.

We had the original wood floors upstairs refinished and had solid wood oak flooring installed on the main level which was previously carpet. Natural finish, no stain so very light. The basement is laminate and i hate it but oh well...Since getting all new wood floors, we no longer wear shoes in the house and they still look new and stay clean that way.

Thread Information