Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy for not caring about keeping my hardwood flooring?

Oh dear, please don't take out original hardwood.......you've been given some great options here!

It really wasn't hard and all we had to do was rent a sander.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    To your point, I usually hate to see the character of old homes replaced with the latest HGTV trend. That said, I think tasteful changes can be made. I don't have any specific suggestions, but maybe researching colors and patterns of different types of tiles that might have been used earlier in the 20th century. Linoleum is an interesting choice--it's so "old school" but has made a modern resurgence.

When you say the floors are in bad shape, are the boards in disrepair, or are they simply dirty/stained? Could you do the refinish? DH and I have sanded down and finished our floors. It's work, but it's not rocket science.

I really like the magazine Old House Journal--maybe you could get some ideas online from their website: https://www.oldhouseonline.com
    Catherine: I love OHJ and have been a subscriber for many years! It is such a wonderful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Catherine: I love OHJ and have been a subscriber for many years! It is such a wonderful resource.
    I love old houses. And I HATE when I watch House Hunters and a young couple walks into a beautiful Craftsman house and says, "Oh, we have to paint all this oak woodwork WHITE!"

I want to scream.

And I do hate when people adhere to exterior historic landmark requirements and go haywire with modern stuff on the inside. The disconnect is disturbing to me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I love old houses. And I HATE when I watch House Hunters and a young couple walks into a beautiful Craftsman house and says, "Oh, we have to paint all this oak woodwork WHITE!"

I want to scream.

And I do hate when people adhere to exterior historic landmark requirements and go haywire with modern stuff on the inside. The disconnect is disturbing to me.
    I do not mind contemporary furnishings in an old house. In fact, I like the contrast. That is, if they left the woodwork and mantles and ceiling medallions and pocket doors and original floors
    I like the contrast of all that with modern sofas chairs etc.

This thread is of course right up my alley.I can rant and rave about sooooooo many things touching on this topic. Dont get me started.

But let me just mention The Latest Trend here in my Victorian village of perfectly gorgeous 1880’s houses, and it is to rip out walls for “open concept.” Today’s open concept is the 35 year ago trend to rip out one floor in a second story room order to have a double storied living room.

Eyeroll.

Already two of those double storied room have been put back together I’m sure the new owners thought “what were they thinking all those decades ago!? “

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I do not mind contemporary furnishings in an old house. In fact, I like the contrast. That is, if they left the woodwork and mantles and ceiling medallions and pocket doors and original floors
    I like the contrast of all that with modern sofas chairs etc.
    I agree... and I acknowledge that my emotional response to all this is based on my early life in Paradise: my great-aunt's cottage that was built in 1910, and never touched all these years. Raw timber interior, "open concept" living/dining, old-fashioned farmhouse sinks, pantries, clawfoot tubs...

I have gotten some "hints" that I should never GoogleEarth my aunt's cottage again, and so I won't.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I spent years stripping the woodwork in my Kenosha house that was built in 1920. Some moron painted it. The new owners loved it and left it.

I agree with everyone who says to keep the hardwood. If the cost is the holdup, maybe just do one or two rooms at a time?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I've had discussions about the two with a relative. His argument is that wood floors always look dirty and require more cleaning attention. He has a large dog that seems to always be shedding to some degree and I can see the point. I also suppose carpet gives some insulation to the floor and feels warmer in the winter. I have wood floors and it's my preference. I have dust allergies and think wood floors are better for that, but I can see favoring comfort and maintenance over style for some people. If it's just looks, wood is the fashion.

I find them easy to keep clean and they don’t look dirty. I had a 80lb shedding machine and easier to clean than carpet. I don’t like super dark flooring as that shows everything. If you have a oak or pine color it won’t. You can never get carpet truly clean.

Thread Information