Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: October frugals

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I bought a rug for my office/guest room yesterday for $10 from Granny's Attic, the local thrift store. It's a loud green shag rug, but it goes GREAT with that loud mid-century modern futon I bought last year. Score!

Attachment 2989
    I like that rug a lot. That lettuce green is pretty much my core color which I decorate around.I still think that couch is cute.

I just went out in the garden. It's been cool nights but not much frost. Crazy thing is that my tomatoes are fine and all my squash vines froze. I just picked 6 spaghetti squash. Those will be yummy in coming weeks along with my fabulous garden ratatouille

The rug makes me like the couch a lot more!

Husband just spent morning deep cleaning the dishwasher, cleaning jets, etc., and we ordered another filter for 14 dollars--hopefully it will fit and make it even better.

FREE flu shots. Hubby's work offers them on-site on a single day. So Oct 4 was it! Saved: $54 getting them at the local pharmacy. (no, there is no other opportunity to get them free at his work).

I'm opening the freezer every day to see what's getting old and using up bits.

A cup of blueberries from.....July? Almond Blueberry muffins with some blackberries too. Old fruit is fine tasting in muffins!

I combined 3 partial bags of blackberries into a single gallon bag. For now, these stayed in the freezer.

A container of smoked Brisket was dinner Monday along with Greek Salad (cucumber and tomato from the garden).

2 slices of ham became dinner Tuesday along with a cup of aging peas folded into a pan of mac and cheese. YUMMO!

This morning I started soaking beans for chili. 2 chubs of ratatouille (not all gets Italian spiced), some ground beef (precooked) and a chub of tomato sauce from the freezer. I've got some roasted peppers to spice up the chili. These were in our final 2019 CSA pickup on Saturday-the rest will go into the freezer.

Chili should be very tasty by 5pm. I'll bake some cornbread to go with. Leftovers will go in the freezer for future dinner or lunches for hubby to take to work.

A small glass container of chard I sauted this summer when we were overrun with veggies is thawing in the fridge. That will be my lunch today or tomorrow. I think a few soft cooked eggs on top will be perfect!

All of this has resulted in 8 ziploc bags rewashed and put back in circulation.

Tomorrow or Friday I will make a lasagna. 2 chubs of ratatouille from the freezer plus a jar of my tomato sauce, the remains of the bag of "italian meat" (precooked) from the freezer. I bought the noodles, mozerella and cottage cheese last week.

My snacks are free Halloween candy at work.. I also got a free flu shot at work.

AND the final garden harvest (it's going to be 25 in the morning). The tomatoes have been covered for 12 days and it's been cozy warm under the heavy tarps.

So, tonight I have 16 pints of salsa canned.

Spread on tea towels on the counter are about 30 pounds of tomatoes that are about half ripe. We'll see how they do over the next few weeks. If we could eat 2-3 a day that would be awesome. I have 2 cats so there's no laying them out on the floor on newspapers. We'll get what we get!

In spite of a very late start to the harvest season, we've got 45 quarts of ratatouille in the freezer and a total of 40 pints of salsa canned. Plus what we ate fresh and shared with neighbors and a few friends. I think my investment of $180 in plant starts and seed/soil has paid off very nicely especially since half the tomatoes are heirlooms!

I made an eBay sale yesterday. It's been many months since I listed anything, so I was pleasantly surprised. It was a set of flannel pillowcases from my mother's house during a decluttering session. She uses silk pillowcases so she can have smooth unwrinkled skin like Dado Potato.

Opened the freezer again. 2 small aging chibata rolls will be hamburger buns for dinner tonight. I put a package of hamburger in the fridge Wednesday to thaw so all is ready.

I've only driven my car twice this week. Lined up all my errands and shopping for yesterday! Monday I had to go to my dentist appt. Didn't feel up to a 6 mile walk.

Priced two nice dog beds from LL Bean at 169 a piece. Remembered memory foam topper I bought for 5 dollars at a church rummage sale. Was going to buy denim at Walmart but when he went to ring it up, it was 8 dollars a yard not the 5 dollars I thought. Said no thanks and went home and realized I could use the 5 dollar velour blanket I bought for trips to my parents house where it is cold and dirty. Turned blanket and topper into two dog beds with memory foam, zero new dollars spent, 10 old dollars realized in value.

Thread Information