Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: October frugals

Early: I am so sorry about your cousin. I think spending money to visit DH's aunt is a very wise use of resources.

Yppej
    My son found a gas station that is 4 cents a gallon cheaper than what I have been paying.

Had a refrigerator clean-out yesterday and ended up making a really good ratatouille. Never made it before, but it was a hit and there are enough leftovers for lunch.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

thank you, rosarugosa. I am rather shaken by how much I miss her, but I have a ton of happy memories. We did a lot of stuff together, most of it very frugal. The KISS concerts, not so much, lol.
    Anyway, I am struggling to find ways to save money now that DH and I have passed the "do it yourself" stage of life for major projects. We had to call a plumber for a blocked pipe that we would have tackled in our more youthful lives. We did have a coupon, but still it was expensive. Why does nothing break during the week??? So I am back to saving pennies in the hopes they will turn into dollars, lol. My dryer is used sparingly. Our barista-made coffee drinks are fewer and farther between, and if I can't get it at the dollar store or Aldi's, I'm probably not going to buy it. I found a pair of pants in a stack of stuff - I need to hem them for this winter. My sister and my DD found me some wonderful items at a yard sale last week for a buck each, and they will also help spruce up my work wardrobe, plus there was a very glittery jacket that was perfect for my best friend's youngest daughter's wedding last weekend. It had the added advantage of making sure I could always be found, as it left a trail of tiny bits of glitter wafting in my wake....

Of course you miss her. I lost my best friend 21 years ago. I have lost other friends too. It’s one thing for parents to die since it’s the natural order. But losing friends or younger people is very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    I am rather shaken by how much I miss her, but I have a ton of happy memories.

My condolences on your loss. Happy memories are treasures!

Used one of my last vacation days for the year yesterday, filled with appointments and errands, but I did stop at an old favorite thrift store. Found a pair of pants, a binder, three folders and a Tri-onimos game all for a grand total of less than $7. Washed and wore the pants out with friends last night.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I love to sew and quilt so Making Christmas gifts out of fabric I have. I was gifted several big bins of outstanding quilt store quality fabric and I have been making pillowcases for Ryan’s smiles, to go to cancer kids in the hospital. . Really cute pillows, placemats and mug rugs for my presents. I needed buttons for eyes for snowmen and Santa but did not want to buy any, they are expensive. I went to my favorite thrift store and bought two men’s long sleeve shirts that had 13 black buttons each for $4. An added bonus, there is enough fabric in the shirts to use either for backings or bindings. One will especially be great for the bindings. The forms are from pillows I picked up at a neighbors garage sale who was “redecorating” which she gave me for $1 each. I’ll have great gifts for my one sister I exchange with, my kids family presents. plus DH’s family who insist on gift giving. My total out of pocket will be around $25. It will save hundreds of dollars. The pillows will be given with a holiday cover and a plain cover so they can be more useful. They will be very hard to give away as I love all of them but I guess that is the true spirit of giving if you really like it.

Flowers, that is FAB!

Good job, Flowers!

Yppej
    I made my own costume for less than $10 in supplies. Like last year, I am keeping what it is anonymous.

Thread Information