Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October frugals

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    actually when you eat no sugar and no processed carbs, ie real food, your insulin level fluctuates little and you are not nearly as hungry as normal. Many diabetics, even insulin dependent friends of mine report this too.
    That was my experience. I went from constantly hungry on a vegetarian diet (my insulin levels were probably through the roof), to naturally eating one or two meals a day, to one meal a day without missing a beat on a more suitable food plan.

Not sure that is easy! It is simple. But hard. So congrats.
    avoiding sugar and refined carbs at most lead to me to lose about 5 pounds max and then with hunger (ie few escapes from just eating less and being hungry if you want to lose weight in my experience, exercise helps some). Maybe different if you are significantly overweight.

I'm mostly on a no sugar or refined carbs diet anyway, weight is stable. That's why I completely understand why people go on REALLY EXTREME diets to lose weight, subsist on 1200 kcals (starvation for me, believe it, it's screaming starvation), fast a couple days a week (actually easier), worry about the carbs in onions, tomatoes and red bell peppers on keto. Because it's not always simple, setpoint being what it is. One ingredient meals might work.
    Trees don't grow on money

whisperingpines
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Whisper my friend had a 50 year old stove that she loved years ago. My husband kept fixing it for her but eventually couldn’t get the parts. I read you use more water hand washing.

Yes I think you do. I try to wash all, then rinse. I try not to let the water run and run. But I have to admit.... I do miss the dishwasher.
    Husband doesn't really want to buy a new one. He thinks we don't need it. It is just the two of us.
    He just puts his dirty dishes in the sink and they magically get washed, dried and put away.

whisperingpines
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Lost some stubborn pounds and grew out of my clothes. Have been going to several church thrift stores and found some lovely new or almost new clothes for 2-4 dollars each. Designer mostly, Chico’s, Diane von fustenburg, Eddie Bauer, coldwater creek. I always keep a pair of black pants and a dark dress in the closet for formal or solemn occasions occasions and found a very nice dress for $5 and pants with tags for $4. I also dropped off a bag of clothes that were too big. Nice neat closet of very nice clothes that fit.
    Congrats.... I have been trying to loose also. Now that I am retired. ( 6 weeks ago) I have more time to exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post
    Yes I think you do. I try to wash all, then rinse. I try not to let the water run and run. But I have to admit.... I do miss the dishwasher.
    Husband doesn't really want to buy a new one. He thinks we don't need it. It is just the two of us.
    He just puts his dirty dishes in the sink and they magically get washed, dried and put away.
    Sounds like it is time for doing dishes being hubby's task. I'd negotiate that as a lifestyle change!

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post
    Congrats.... I have been trying to loose also. Now that I am retired. ( 6 weeks ago) I have more time to exercise.
    Congratulations on your retirement!

I totally agree with G. We need a new dishwasher and DH suggested the same. I suggestion he do it . Now we are getting a new one)

I bought a rug for my office/guest room yesterday for $10 from Granny's Attic, the local thrift store. It's a loud green shag rug, but it goes GREAT with that loud mid-century modern futon I bought last year. Score!

IMG_0470.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Sounds like it is time for doing dishes being hubby's task. I'd negotiate that as a lifestyle change!
    The way we do it at our house is that we take turns cooking... I do MWF, he does TTS, we split Sunday. Whoever isn't cooking does the dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanaHart View Post
    The way we do it at our house is that we take turns cooking... I do MWF, he does TTS, we split Sunday. Whoever isn't cooking does the dishes.
    Decades ago I told hubby I would cook or clean but not both. He would rather do dishes. When he doesn't feel like doing dishes, he texts me telling me where to meet him for dinner.

(It seemed clear to me that she does all the cooking AND the dishes since "hubby just puts his dishes in the sink.)

Thread Information