Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amber Guyger case in Dallas....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Amber Guyger case in Dallas....

It's about to be handed to the jury folks....another nail biter, though this time it's looking less likely that the former officer involved could walk free. This case is ultra relevant to me, personally, both as someone working as an activist to rein in police power and to demand police accountability 100 percent of the time.....with prison terms and permanent criminal records for law breaking officers. Also as a men's rights activist Amber's gender comes into play as women tend to serve 60 percent shorter sentences than men for similar crimes. If Amber is sentenced and gets a light sentence via virtue of her gender, there will be blowback and likely litigation on this one and it's not going to be pretty.....but long overdue.

Personally. after looking over the facts in the this case, I find myself taking a rare conservative approach. This one time in this one case....Guyger's actions were so brutally entitled and inhumane with such callous disregard for human life that I would support the death sentence in her case. To me personally this case is even worse than the Mohammed Noor fiasco recently as Guyger cold bloodily murdered an innocent man in his own apartment....translation....ALL OF US ARE VULNERABLE TO THE SAME AT ALL TIMES. is this truly an America you care to live in/support? Perhaps you accept such - this is your right. Just don't expect me to accept such. I deserve better and there is no room for negotiation on this one I'm afraid.

Regardless of my take, the maximum penalty I've read Guyger is vulnerable to due to her cold blooded murder is lifetime imprisonment. Let's cross our fingers she is put away for life so as to remove the threat she poses to innocent American citizens and permanent residents and anyone else who might innocently cross her path.

My take is that due to reverse gender discrimination, she will serve a lighter sentence than a man would, but that she will be sentenced. This right here, especially in the state of Texas, is progress. Maybe not enough progress, but progress. And this case could serve as a springboard to demanding equal sentencing for men and women and perhaps some kind of settlement for the many male victims of.unequal sentencing. So some good may come of this illegal and unfortunate tragedy. We'll see.

Get the popcorn ready.....I like garlic butter on mine. This one's a nail biter, too, but for different reasons than the Noor fiasco was and women in general may not care for the eventual outcome as more and more American men are becoming aware of and outraged by unequal sentencing based on gender. Get the popcorn ready is my advice. Rob

I only vaguely know about this because I tune out hysteria inducing headlines. The media seems to love this because POLICE and WOMAN and scintillating details.

But good for you for reminding us for the 854th time of your wokeness about America.

whatever, dude.

I though she got 10 years.

Whoops....I'm working too much. Turns out that Guyger WAS already sentenced....to an insufficient 10 years with a chance to be out on parole in two years. Watch the public anger and mounting distrust of all things American as a result.

I do take solace in that this horrible excuse for a human being was sentenced to begin with....not long ago her crying on the stand and whining she was afraid for her life would have sprung her free. This did not happen here EVEN IN TEXAS so.there is real progress here. Now we need to work on equal sentencing for both genders, no exceptions and realistic sentences for cold blooded murderers such as Guyger who realistically are not much more than walking/talking threats to civil society. At least Guyger's life is ruined via her permanent felony record and she will taste incarceration up close and personal. It's progress but we can do so much better as a nation. Are we up to such? I really am 50/50 on this one.....though disgust/intense distrust/disillusionment with US law enforcement is spreading upwards on the socioeconomic food chain. We'll see. I do believe law enforcement officers are starting to realize that the social climate they face truly has done a 180 since Ferguson and not just in my much referenced zip code. We'll see. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I though she got 10 years.
    You are dead on. Because I've been so busy I was not aware of the sentencing when I made my op. My bad. Rob

The woman made a terrible mistake, which she admitted. I’m not sure I see where you’re getting “brutal and callous” out of that.

Now she will pay for it. I’m not sure I think “at least her life is ruined” is something a decent person would want to gloat over.

But then, I don’t feel particularly worried about the urge of cops to murder people or of the unfair privilege of being female.

I only know the outlines of this case, but I was puzzled by one thing--the charge of murder, given that apparently she didn't know this guy at all. Again, based on my limited knowledge of the case, it seems she was highly negligent, which certainly merits consequences, but shouldn't the charge have been manslaughter or negligent homocide or something?

That said, it was interesting to see the brother forgiving the women, while not condoning her actions. Made quite a contrast with the activists outside the courtroom grousing because she didn't get the max. I'm not even saying I agree with the brother or would have done the same, but it's interesting to see how many "Christians" who don't understand the requirements of claiming to be one.

If she had gotten manslaughter she could have been out in 2 years. Under her state laws it qualifies as murder. I am sorry but once you walk into a apartment you can tell that’s not your furniture. She could have told him to freeze and called for backup. I hope she serves the whole ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If she had gotten manslaughter she could have been out in 2 years. Under her state laws it qualifies as murder. I am sorry but once you walk into a apartment you can tell that’s not your furniture. She could have told him to freeze and called for backup. I hope she serves the whole ten.
    Thank You, TT. Your post here gives me hope. I bet you'd be an interesting person to chat over coffee about current events with. Rob

When I lived in Wisconsin you weren’t afraid to call the police if there was a issue. Here it’s different. I also wouldn’t want a family member to be one here as they have been killed by people for no reason. One nut job killed a cop with a machete. A few were gunned down in Vegas when they were walking. I think the bigger question is why is our society so much more violent. What is wrong with people that they are murdering people they don’t know especially children.

Thread Information