Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amber Guyger case in Dallas....

Are we really more violent than in the past? Do the numbers align with the media-driven perceptions?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    A couple of developments I've noticed recently here in Phoenix since the infamous Dollar Store incident. The Phoenix PD seems more subdued and less aggressive of late. It's been made crystal clear to them that the community understands the city has deep pockets via liability insurance and since Arizona is a one party state, anything they say and/or do in public can legally be filmed and used against them in civil or criminal courts.

Something else absolutely wonderful - outside of my zip code you all are probably sick of hearing about by now - in "nicer" areas - I've seen instances of people auto pulling out their smartphones and filming the police should they drive by and/or approach. Such auto distrust of the police truly is essential in today's America to protect innocent life and property from the police. That's just how America is now, for better or worse. It just is this way now. Truly it warms my heart to see people in more prosperous areas "getting it" and protecting themselves from the police via smartphone video.

More people every day are getting this....eventually a tipping point will be reached and sweeping change will take place. I hope to see this in ny lifetime, even if from afar in another country. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Are we really more violent than in the past? Do the numbers align with the media-driven perceptions?
    I don't know that we are more violent these days. I believe at least in the case of American police, it's more smartphone video shining a flashlight 24/7/365 on exactly what they truly are about, beyond any shadow of a reasonable doubt.

As far as non-police folks go - I believe part of the awareness of violence is due to the 24/7/365 news cycle. Also social media and the Internet factor into this, too. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If she had gotten manslaughter she could have been out in 2 years. Under her state laws it qualifies as murder. I am sorry but once you walk into a apartment you can tell that’s not your furniture. She could have told him to freeze and called for backup. I hope she serves the whole ten.
    Yeah, I totally don't understand how she walked into an apartment that clearly wasn't hers and reflexively shot the person sitting on his own couch. Is that the real story? I worked for Union Carbide in a space-age new headquarters where every cubical looked exactly the same, but if I walked to my desk and saw a cubical with a different pencil holder, I'd know immediately it wasn't my cube, never mind a whole different set of furniture. It's bizarre.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, I totally don't understand how she walked into an apartment that clearly wasn't hers and reflexively shot the person sitting on his own couch. Is that the real story? I worked for Union Carbide in a space-age new headquarters where every cubical looked exactly the same, but if I walked to my desk and saw a cubical with a different pencil holder, I'd know immediately it wasn't my cube, never mind a whole different set of furniture. It's bizarre.
    She got off easy. I can understand parking on the wrong level of the parking garage. Maybe ignoring the doormat unlike her own, not looking at the apartment number--she was busy, after all texting or sexting or whatever. But as you say, once she saw the inside of the apartment...Did she think the "burglar" had it redecorated while she was at work? And you're right--she could have just held him at gunpoint for the two minutes it would have taken a normally-intelligent person to realize her mistake. There was absolutely no reason to shoot Jean. And the judge hugging her? Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    She got off easy. I can understand parking on the wrong level of the parking garage. Maybe ignoring the doormat unlike her own, not looking at the apartment number--she was busy, after all texting or sexting or whatever. But as you say, once she saw the inside of the apartment...Did she think the "burglar" had it redecorated while she was at work? And you're right--she could have just held him at gunpoint for the two minutes it would have taken a normally-intelligent person to realize her mistake. There was absolutely no reason to shoot Jean. And the judge hugging her? Unbelievable.
    If I were to walk into what I thought was my place and found a stranger there, my immediate focus probably wouldn’t be on lamps and end tables.

My experience has been that stupidity, carelessness and bad luck are generally sufficient to explain most tragic events without resorting to darker theories of what went on in someone’s mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My experience has been that stupidity, carelessness and bad luck are generally sufficient to explain most tragic events without resorting to darker theories of what went on in someone’s mind.
    I don't quarrel with the idea that her actions merit punishment, fairly harsh punishment, even assuming her version of events was true. And if a manslaughter charge would only have gotten her two years, then yes, that was probably insufficient. But that still doesn't answer my original question of why she did it. Was that explored at the trial? Like I say, I didn't follow it closely.

I'm curious how people make the leap in reasoning between "Amber Guyger" and "all police in America".

How many police officers each year do this sort of thing? Especially when acting in their official capacity as law enforcement officers?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm curious how people make the leap in reasoning between "Amber Guyger" and "all police in America".
    Bizarre episode. One-off. Unless there's more to the story.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don’t make that jump Bae. I know good and bad cops. No one is denying that it’s a tough job.

Thread Information