Thread: Mushrooming---anyone?

Mushrooming---anyone?

A few weeks back I attended my now annual Washington Outdoor Women weekend. My favorite session was on Wild Edibles. We made quite the spread from sources gathered not 50 feet from our cabin.

It got me more interested in foraging, specifically mushrooming. Got a good book on identification, and this weekend the hubs and I are getting a (free) permit and heading out to see what we can find. Reportedly it is a good season this year as September was pretty drippy.

Anyone else forage mushrooms? Got any hints or advice?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Did you get any tips on truffles? I understand the Oregon area has an abundance of them. As well as magic mushrooms, which used to grow in cow pastures, I believe. We used to see groups out foraging along the roads.

I'm afraid to forage mushrooms without someone knowledgeable with me because you have good ones and then you have very bad ones. However, I have inoculated a lot of mushroom spores.

A friend of mine makes a living teaching people how to forage. If he every takes his forage-mobile to the PNW, you should check him out.

http://returntonature.us
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Fascinated but afraid, so I just "collect" them with my camera. The repercussions for mistaken identity can be a bit too harsh as far as I'm concerned.

Oh Morel season in the late spring in Missouri is a huge deal. They are so good. I haven't been hunting for them in a few years but always end up with a few being given to me. Love them.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Oh Morel season in the late spring in Missouri is a huge deal. They are so good. I haven't been hunting for them in a few years but always end up with a few being given to me. Love them.
    Agreed!

Kay, a friend of mine is a pretty established local mushroom expert and he often gives free talks -- nothing in your area on his current schedule, but you might want to keep an eye on his website for his 2020 schedule:

http://mushroaming.com/Upcoming_Presentations
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thanks, lhamo, I have bookmarked his site. Wow! And actually, I bought his pocket guide last week.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information