Thread: Auto worker strike/healthcare costs

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Auto worker strike/healthcare costs

We are hearing nothing about the strike which in normal times would be front page news. Judy woodruff did a fascinating segment on it last evening during pbs newshour.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ho...-auto-industry

one of the big issues is car ownership is changing with ride sharing, Uber and so on. And there is the cost of new autos. So the workers don’t want to lose any more jobs but are as many cars needed?

Another issue is health insurance. The auto industry bears a far greater portion than most industries.
    Everyone’s premiums go up every year unless you qualify for government funded insurance. Medicare premiums go up every year as well as private. So the auto industry is bearing a greater and greater cost.

Is this the future wave of manufacturing the US? And what are we going to do about pesky healthcare premiums and costs?

More cars are not “needed” but cars are fun. I added a 4th car our two person household recently.

At this point if I had more garage space I would probably add another one.

I didn’t even know they were striking. We often walk downtown but don’t always want to walk home and use Lyft. On vacation we often don’t rent a car anymore. Having a 7-8 year car loan is insane. My step son is in the military and he said it’s not unusual for the guys to spend 55k on a new truck. We drive our cars until the repairs get too expensive. We always buy 3-4 years old pre-certified from the dealer with a warranty. Since retiring we aren’t driving nearly as much. When one car dies we may not replace it.

Car insurance companies are examining this very carefully at present. What is their future? Will self-driving cars change things?

Here is the report of a man converting gas guzzlers into electric vehicles - https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/w...cars-1.5307221

For me, i expect the future to be an electric self-driving car when my Toyota Prius V needs replacing. Then I expect that cars will be shared in a central depot. I will make an online appointment for a self-driving car to pick me up and take me to my destination and return at the appointed time to take me home. I will pay an annual fee towards its purchase, maintenance and insurance which may be much less than my current expense. Just as travel agents arrange cruises, etc., trips will be arranged to share going to the theatre or out of town events. I am not worried about the future of cars and accessibility.

To the OP's question of car worker benefits due to downsizing. This is not just a car worker issue. Reportedly 800,000 US truckers will soon be at risk of job loss due to self-driving trucks. As more people have online access, accountants, banking, radiologists, investment personnel etc, the 'so-calle d secure' jobs will be at risk as well. It is all computer knowledge based. Where will AI be included?

Different reports have indicated that most pensions are underfunded at each level of government. Those workers still able to pay taxes won't be able to increase their contribution much more so a lot of pensioners are going to bear the brunt of the burden of benefit loss. I have not heard of any politician discussing this. It is easier to promise the sun, the moon and the stars, if elected, and the foolish public keep voting for those politicians. I think that it going to come down to the individuals monitoring their own affairs and well-being. Healthcare is just one of the issues at play.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Andrew Yang is discussing it Razz.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Very interesting points. I am shopping for an electric bike. I walk and bike lots of places but this will help me be able to go much longer distances

The PBS clip was interesting. So the UAW has 46,000 members at GM, but in 1978 the headcount was 10x that? Sounds like 40+ years of decline.

From Detroit Free Press articles I gather that negotiations are continuing. A 4-year contract is at stake. GM management opened with a proposal that union members pay 15% for their health care, up from 3% in the current agreement. The union is proposing to improve the lot of temporary workers. Since 2007 a worker starts at $15 to $19/hour and is "in progression" toward permanent status for 8 years. When "Permanent", workers start at $28/hour Permanent employees pay less than temporary workers for health insurance, and are eligible to participate in profit sharing.

There are unresolved and outstanding issues around pensions and 401(k) plans.

Thread Information