Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple meal routines

I started something kinda new a while back. Because we have a big freezer, I now try to make whatever from all 3 storage spots: freezer, fridge, and pantry. I’m doing much better at staying away from just my normal over and over. Last night’s dinner was a mixed green salad with the last of the tomatoes, last of the sausage, frozen cut corn cooked in a little of the sausage grease and chunks of cheese. No recipe, I just threw it together.

But in full disclosure? What I’d started for dinner was a disaster and I had to start over midstream.

Eating one meal a day is particularly freeing--no constant cooking, cleanup, grazing, etc.

Jane, mostly I am doing the same by having a small yogurt for breakfast, big lunch and then either nothing or a small snack in evening if I am hungry. Mostly I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Jane, mostly I am doing the same by having a small yogurt for breakfast, big lunch and then either nothing or a small snack in evening if I am hungry. Mostly I am not.
    I kind of eased into it. I noticed when we went out to eat that I was usually through for the day, so I pretty much quit eating dinner. I just have a loaded coffee in the morning, a hearty brunch, and water, if needed, the rest of the day. It seems we've been sold a bill of goods about eating six small meals a day, "breakfast is the most important meal," "you need plenty of whole grains," and lots of other things. Intermittent fasting, gut health, and mind-body interaction all seem ripe for study, even if Pharma only sees such processes as fodder for drug development.

I have eased into it by accident. I noticed if we ate lunch out I was done for the day. Now I usually make our big meal for lunch. Husband fends for himself in the evening. I have lost 10lbs.

I've lost a moderate amount over two years, but I've indulged in a lot of carbohydrate-rich foods along the way. I'll be cutting back on those and switching it up some--but I'm content with the overall direction. And hoping for autophagy in the meantime.

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    I started something kinda new a while back. Because we have a big freezer, I now try to make whatever from all 3 storage spots: freezer, fridge, and pantry. I’m doing much better at staying away from just my normal over and over. Last night’s dinner was a mixed green salad with the last of the tomatoes, last of the sausage, frozen cut corn cooked in a little of the sausage grease and chunks of cheese. No recipe, I just threw it together.

But in full disclosure? What I’d started for dinner was a disaster and I had to start over midstream.
    When meal planning for the week, I try to think of things that I already have most of the items on hand already so I won't have to buy a lot from the grocery store. Seems to work out well. And I think we have all done that when we start something and realize it's not going to work out and then improvise mid-way and end up with something totally different for dinner.

I find it completely baffling that no matter how many times I make a weekly meal plan and mostly "shop the pantry" there are always enough bits and pieces to make meals for a week. It's a mystery that might explain why my house is never uncluttered either.

Thread Information