Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple meal routines

Catherine: I have almost a nut buffet from Costco in a very easy-to-reach place in the kitchen - a jar of almonds, one of pecans, one of mixed unsalted nuts, one of pistachios. I also have figs and dates and dried unsweetened coconut and a jar of sunflower seeds. It's all on the bookcase I made in carpentry class; it is my "healthy snacks bookcase." I find if healthy options are easily accessible and plentiful, we will go for them. Any junk food lives on top of the refrigerator and is harder for me to reach at least.

If we are home we eat our big meal for lunch. Then we are on our own in the evening. We are going to California the next 4 days so our meals will be very simple as we will eat out)

So what I'm trying to do now is make a big dinner on Sunday for all week (except Sunday, I make a dinner then for just that day as well). Last week was lentil soup, I ate with canned herring (on the side). This week is beef and rice casserole (maybe with avocado depending on if that thing gets ripe anytime soon). Should last all work week. Easier than making something different daily, variety by week rather than day.

Lunch is salad as ever - made the night before, it's been doable. Breakfast is still yogurt (still finding local berries but getting scarce).
    Trees don't grow on money

I decided to simplify the meal routine a couple of months ago, with a template for the week. It has been helpful, but the most helpful thing is cooking extra and having meals in the freezer. Here's my template if you're looking for ideas... (Note that I'm cooking for a vegetarian teen who has recently become very picky. Left to my own devices, the menu would be more varied... I make large salads for myself to have for lunch, and those are different every week. This week, it's lacinato kale-carrot-quinoa.)

Got the free turkey from our grocery store and, since I didn't need it for Thanksgiving, I'm cooking it today. We'll have some for dinner tonight, and I'll be breaking it up the remainder into meal-size portions and putting it in the freezer. I hope to be able to boil the carcass before tonight, otherwise it will be done tomorrow. I'm planning on a big pot of soup for dinner tomorrow and the leftover broth into the freezer as well. I'm hoping all this will help ease meal planning - at least up to Christmas. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We had a great simple meal last night--bought a panera squash soup at the grocery store for 5 dollars, and a bag of Sister Schubert yeast roles. Split the soup had a roll each.
    Yeah, I could have made it all cheaper but this tasted better and t was so EASY and I'm kind of sick of cooking, after Thanksgiving.

So, I'm thinking my busiest week of this holiday season is going to start tomorrow. Between work and other commitments every evening from Monday through next Sunday, I don't think I'll have much time for meal planning, let alone making.

So far today, I have made meals for tonight through Thursday - turkey stew, pasta & veggies, personal pan pizzas - 2 per person, the makings for tacos, and twice baked "stuffed" sweet potatoes. Friday we are actually going to my workplace holiday party - no cooking! Yippee! LOL.

While today is super busy, I'm thinking the rest of the week will now be easy meals.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Made a big crockpot of beef stew. I took some to my kids and a friend.

Yppej
    I cook for one as DS makes his own meals. This time of year I like to try out recipes on the weekend since the oven warms up the house. Most are made to serve multiple people which gives me leftovers to eat throughout the week. I supplement with ready to eat items like store bought soup cans, nuts, yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, seaweed snacks, cheese, etc. I also get free popcorn at my job.

Bought a bag of fish fillets, 4 morningstar veggie burgers, some whole wheat hamburger buns, head of lettuce, and tomatos.
    Four easy quick dinners.

Thread Information