Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenges along my "no clothing purchases for a year" challenge

Challenges along my "no clothing purchases for a year" challenge

My nephew’s wedding was in September, and I planned to wear my go to wedding attire – a glittery jacket and tank top with black pants. When I tried on the jacket, it was a little snug and I didn’t relish the thought of being uncomfortable that evening. I wanted something loose and flowy. So I thought this was a good reason to make an exception.

I couldn’t find anything at the consignment stores, and had no luck at the malls either. I ended up wearing the outfit I had and was glad I did. Not only did I keep on track with the challenge, I forgot all about the snugness once I got to the wedding.

However, when I was at the mall, some items caught my attention. And I discovered many retailers are offering sales on current season items, like friends and family discounts of 25-40% off, limited time only. This creates a sense of urgency.

I fell hard for something and knew I would buy it and knew I would return it. Which I did. But it made me really think hard about why I wanted the item. And it had a lot to do with how I wanted others to perceive me and how I wanted to perceive myself.

Not only is this challenge saving me money, it’s also causing me to look inward and examine why I do what I do. An unexpected benefit and a welcome one.

I wouldn’t go shopping at all because it’s tempting you.

Molly, thanks for sharing this. In October 2015, my son got married. I bought a dress I LOVED and I had actually dropped 20 lbs over 3 months to wear it, as it is a bit form-fitting, and had a belt (DH told me, "I don't know if I'd wear a belt if I were you" which set me on a mission go "earn" the right to wear the dress. At the end of the day, the dress fit, and I hear I looked pretty good. My DD told me that one of her friends said, "There was the bride, and then there was your mom."

Now, DD is getting married next year. I paid over $400 for that dress I wore to DS's wedding. Can I wear it again??? It worked once, why not one more time? Who's going to hang pictures on their wall of DS's and DD's wedding party and notice I'm wearing the same dress??

Any thoughts?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Now, DD is getting married next year. I paid over $400 for that dress I wore to DS's wedding. Can I wear it again??? Who's going to hang pictures on their wall of DS's and DD's wedding party and notice I'm wearing the same dress??

Any thoughts?
    I would ABSOLUTELY wear it again! You paid a lot for it and looked great in it. It makes no sense economically and for the environment to buy another.

If you want to wear it again, go for it! And you're right - no one will probably notice or even care.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I wouldn’t go shopping at all because it’s tempting you.
    I probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for the wedding. One thing that jolted me out of my "I want this new item" stupor were vacation photos a friend posted on Facebook of a place I want to visit. It got me back on track pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for the wedding. One thing that jolted me out of my "I want this new item" stupor were vacation photos a friend posted on Facebook of a place I want to visit. It got me back on track pronto!
    YEA! The great tool here is that you recognized your desire to purchase, you made a conscious decision to purchase and then you got right back on the no-buy goal.

HUGE SUCCESS

Yppej
    Catherine can you wear it again but with different accessories you already have?

I would definitely wear it again.

I would wear the dress again and buy new jewelry--I have been hankering for some Native American bracelets, old pawn. But that might not go with the dress at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    YEA! The great tool here is that you recognized your desire to purchase, you made a conscious decision to purchase and then you got right back on the no-buy goal.

HUGE SUCCESS
    +1

It is so hard to resist that pull to purchase!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information