Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Challenges along my "no clothing purchases for a year" challenge

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    +1

It is so hard to resist that pull to purchase!!
    You bet. I love fall clothing and am craving something new, but I have enough. More than enough.

Besides saving money, this challenge is forcing me to think really hard when I have a craving. What is it that I want and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I would wear the dress again and buy new jewelry--I have been hankering for some Native American bracelets, old pawn. But that might not go with the dress at all!
    I'm not sure... For my DS's wedding, I wore a locket that had my DIL's mother's picture in it, who died of cancer in 2007. (See picture) I wanted to pay homage to her, feeling so bad that she couldn't be there for that important day. But she sent beautiful snowflakes in mid-fall, during the ceremony. They are not religious people, but I am, and I sent her a high five.

100_8183a.jpgIMG_2567.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, if you're the "blue lady" then you looked phenominal. However, that picture is just the reason I have to vote no for using the dress again. There will be pictures of the whole family - and there you'll be for all eternity in the same dress. It goes against all my frugal inclinations, but your daughter's wedding deserves a unique dress.

Well, your daughter will probably be the only one to remember that dress. I wonder, can you ask her about wearing it again?

Okay, having now seen the wonderful photo, I vote you go all Burns night and match, wearing your family tartan sash and black velvet.

It is your daughter's special day, and whatever you choose to wear, I like the idea of something different than what was worn to a prior child's wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    However, that picture is just the reason I have to vote no for using the dress again. There will be pictures of the whole family - and there you'll be for all eternity in the same dress. It goes against all my frugal inclinations, but your daughter's wedding deserves a unique dress.
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. What's wrong with wearing the same dress? I guess it's ultimately up to Catherine. If she loves the dress and wants to wear it again and it's ok with her daughter, I say go for it. It's gentler on her wallet and the planet. The fashion industry wants us keep buying so they create all these unsustainable rules.

I wore the same dress to my son’s and stepson’s weddings. If the other 3 get married I will be wearing the same dress.

I would have a hard time deciding whether to wear a different dress but would choose a different one. I made that choice of a different one for my two daughters' weddings with no regrets. I think that I chose a simple dress each time so finances didn't really come into play. I used those outfits on other occasions as well afterwards.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I wore different dresses to my son's weddings and then wore them for other things, but they were nothing supper special, just nice dresses. Of course one wedding was in the summer and one the winter! It did not have anything to do with the fashion industry or rules, it just turned out that way.

My friend has three daughters who got married and all the weddings were so different, in different places and times of year, so she had three different outfits, and she enjoyed picking them out with the girls. I think it is a wonderful chance to get something special, not any kind of obligation, but I think it was nice for each of her daughters to have her selecting her dress with their wedding in mind.

To me it's a wonderful family celebration; they don't come along very often, and should be celebrated with whatever brings you joy.

I would definitely ask DD what she thinks. She very likely won't have a strong opinion, but I could be wrong. If it still fits, you like yourself in it and don't really care that there will be photographic evidence that you wore the same dress twice, then I say go for it! It's a lovely dress.

Thread Information