Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Challenges along my "no clothing purchases for a year" challenge

I brought all three of my children home from the hospital in the same outfit. My mother wore the same dress to my wedding and my brother’s. I wore different dresses to dd’s wedding and dil’s wedding (ds was all about the wife, he requested that his best friend’s mom get to read a poem. That was it.) the dress I wore to dd’s Wedding I wear all the time. The other was bought just for the wedding, cost more than I would have liked and is gone now because it was a color I don’t look particularly good in and never wear. She picked the color, which was why I had to buy a dress. But honestly, I had a fantastic time at the wedding, I am all smiles in the photos, and when I look at them, my first thought is “why did you people let me wear those tights with those shoes?” I mean, I specifically asked and they said it was fine, and it was not fine.

Wear the dress. Maybe you could add a scarf, or shawl to make it look a bit different if you want. But a good dress is a good dress. Don't waste it.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Geila
    What if you do some simple alterations to make it look like a slightly different dress? You could also dye it, my niece dyed her prom dress and it looked beautiful, though I might be nervous doing it with such an expensive item. Maybe your DD could even help with the design of the dress!

I have no clue what I wore when I brought my kids home from the hospital. I am surprised anyone would know.

What THEY wore. I put them all in the same little unisex outfit. My thought in sharing was that wearing the same dress was like that - clothing for a certain type of special occasion - like a tradition.

I say ask your daughter what would make her happiest. Then do that!

CL, now that makes total sense)

It is times like this that I know I am somewhere on the autism spectrum because I cannot relate to all of these special occasion clothing dilemmas.Or the ritual of bringing baby home from the hospital. On the MMM site there was a discussion about the super dooper extraordinarily special experience of bringing a new baby home. The father of the baby said he had to work and the grandmother drove the car to pick up mom and baby. That seemed eminently reasonable to me. But I was so far in the minority of opinion!!! Really strange.

That reminds me of the discussion here on this board a couple years ago when catherine had a dilemma—should she visit her newly born grandson in a hospital or see her son’s concert. To me that was a no brainer – go to son’s concert, it’s the only time he’ll be performing like that. The baby she can see for a “first” experience any time. I was resoundingly in the minority then, too.

Didn’t mean to turn this thread into a referendum on me but hey there’s clearly something wrong with me! Ha ha. I understand the importance of a new human in the family. I get that it’s a very big deall!!! But all these “firsts” experiences seem like silly empty rituals to me. I do i fact hate ritual, so that is a basis here.

If the father of the baby is at a new job or wouldn’t be paid if he wasn’t at work I think it’s reasonable for the grandma to drive them home. I am not into rituals as much as some people. I brought my babies home in a comfy sleeper. Definitely not the same one.

IL, I don't get it either. I have one, maybe two, semi fancy outfits that are brought out for any occasion needing them. But I am not trying to "fit in" to a controlled group of people all following the latest trends and trying to outdo each other. When did the people or the special occasion become less important than what is worn? Always reminds me of the Bridezilla stories.

Thread Information