Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Warrant for your arrest?

They only cared about the front yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They only cared about the front yard.
    I think it may depend on the HOA. I have friends in the newer developments in my area and they are not permitted to have a clothesline. One told me they thought that drying racks on the back deck were allowed. Can't speak from experience, though; just what I was told.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Happy, I have heard that too.

I have in friend in HOA hell. Trashcans can't be out longer than an hour after the trash truck makes its round. Cars have to be rotated daily if using street parking. Mowing to a certain height and weekly. Just too much. She used to keep a blog about how she'd get in trouble daily with the HOA...but she got in trouble for that and had to take it down. No freedom of speech in that neighborhood. I love my wooded rural neighborhood. We have covenants but nothing to sweat over.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I love my wooded rural neighborhood. We have covenants but nothing to sweat over.
    I've never heard of a "covenant". Would you mind explaining that?
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Our trash can could be out for 24 hours because people have jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've never heard of a "covenant". Would you mind explaining that?
    A covenant typically either requires or restricts certain actions involving the land. For example there were many suburban developments after WWII that had covenants forbidding the sale of the property to black people. (those are no longer enforceable as a result of legal challenges...) They are attached to the deed for the property and carry over when the property is sold. Basically, though, they can be used for anything from restricting the use of the property for any sort of business purpose, to not allowing fences above a certain height (or at all) or not allowing radio antennae for long range radio hobbyists, etc. They can also require actions such as "your public facing yard must have well maintained turf." In some cases HOAs have put them on property deeds when the homes in a development are first sold, in an effort to convince customers that the neighborhood will always be "nice".

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I have in friend in HOA hell. Trashcans can't be out longer than an hour after the trash truck makes its round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Our trash can could be out for 24 hours because people have jobs.
    I sure hope the trash truck doesn't show up in the middle of the day for FloatOn's friend. Although if it does I suppose there's a business opportunity for someone who could offer the service of moving the cans back to the garage following pickup. Charge everyone $5/week for the service and just spend your days following the trash truck around moving garbage cans.

Back when I was in college in Coral Gables, a ritzy old suburb of Miami, I remember reading an article in the Miami Herald about a guy who was being hassled by his neighbors who reported him to the city because the city didn't allow pickups to be parked in one's driveway. He owned a construction business of some sort and had a brand new truck that he used for work. To get around that rule, and piss off his a-hole neighbors, he bought an ugly old beater car, started parking his truck at the nearby train station and would drive the beater car to/from the train station every day to get to his truck, and leave the beater car in his driveway from the time he got home until he went to work in the morning. It looked infinitely worse, but was in compliance with the rules.

Jp love that story! Our small, older home with no HOA is worth more than our bigger, newer home in the burbs with the PIA HOA)

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    A covenant typically either requires or restricts certain actions involving the land. For example there were many suburban developments after WWII that had covenants forbidding the sale of the property to black people. (those are no longer enforceable as a result of legal challenges...) They are attached to the deed for the property and carry over when the property is sold. Basically, though, they can be used for anything from restricting the use of the property for any sort of business purpose, to not allowing fences above a certain height (or at all) or not allowing radio antennae for long range radio hobbyists, etc. They can also require actions such as "your public facing yard must have well maintained turf." In some cases HOAs have put them on property deeds when the homes in a development are first sold, in an effort to convince customers that the neighborhood will always be "nice".
    As I had said, I've never heard of this. Thanks for the explanation!

Thanks for the explanation. I've never heard of this.

Thread Information