Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warrant for your arrest?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    There are warrants out for people who have a lot of traffic violations.

The situation I am talking about is my neighbor who doesnt show up in court, then warrant is issued. I think two times this has happened, once for sure.
    Here is one scenario based on an experience my "friend" had (not me--I am not "the friend.")

Traffic violations. Warrant out there, but never acted on. One day a knock at the door, informing the errant party that there is a warrant. There were no handcuffs, fingerprints, protecting the head as they usher them into the police car. Just, "get to the police station and pay the fine."

But in IL's friend's case, if a court appointment was required, I don't know what they would do. I don't think they would arrest him/her. And I really think chasing down warrants for minor things only happens when there's nothing else for the police to do or they have to up their revenue.

But it will catch up with them at some point--when they go to get their vehicle registered or something like that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here is one scenario based on an experience my "friend" had (not me--I am not "the friend.")

Traffic violations. Warrant out there, but never acted on. One day a knock at the door, informing the errant party that there is a warrant. There were no handcuffs, fingerprints, protecting the head as they usher them into the police car. Just, "get to the police station and pay the fine."

But in IL's friend's case, if a court appointment was required, I don't know what they would do. I don't think they would arrest him/her. And I really think chasing down warrants for minor things only happens when there's nothing else for the police to do or they have to up their revenue.

But it will catch up with them at some point--when they go to get their vehicle registered or something like that.
    If the police act, it is because my neighborhood is putting pressure on them to carry out the warrant.

There aren’t many instances of people in this neighborhood going to jail due to housing court violations, but it has happened.

Interesting, never gotten anything from an unpaid ticket I had but a fine (but oh man the fine, probably 3 to 4 times the cost of the ticket was paid when all was said and done).
    Trees don't grow on money

It would seem to be more convenient to deal with the warrant up-front, on your own schedule, than to be rudely surprised some day while travelling or something.

Never had a ticket and I wouldn’t ignore it.

Back when I was working we got copies of all the warrants for people in our jurisdiction. Before each shift went out officers were handed warrants for their district and would try to serve them between calls. So in our case warrants could be by chance at a traffic stop but there were also out there actively searching for people to serve them. Better to just come in at your convenience than to served at home or work.

Well, after searching the warrant database, our neighborhood policeman said there is no warrant after all, unless it is a civil matter. I think this warrant is the stuff of neighborhood lore.

But this is a neighbor needs to fix up his house and instead of doing that he pays fines. It is time to ramp up the fines which the judge in Housing court can do upon political pressure.

IL, is this because it is a historical district that he can be fined for not fixing his house?

That is why our neighborhood police officer could not find a warrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, is this because it is a historical district that he can be fined for not fixing his house?
    Not necessarily. I think people from all over the city neighborhoods can be held to the same requirements, they don’t need to be in a historic district. But we here in our historic district are sensitive about building maintenance because once a cornice, for instance, is beyond repair it costs SO much to re-create, and usually people don’t re-create it to the original profile, they make something cheaper. Crappier.

But another update is that someone sent me a screen print of the warrant. There IS a court ordered warrant out for him but his name is misspelled so probably That is why our neighborhood police officer could not find a warrant

Interesting idea, using government force to make other people maintain their home to a certain esthetic standard.

Thread Information