Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Turkey is now attacking the Kurds!

  1. #11
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,971
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And he's not concerned about Isis escapees--they'll just go back to Europe, after all.
    At this point, he's blown up all our alliances, save his personal ones with various dictators.
    And ask yourself - who benefits from all of this?

    (Did you see the bit the other day where Trump threatened to destroy the economy of a fellow NATO ally?)

  2. #12
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    And ask yourself - who benefits from all of this?

    (Did you see the bit the other day where Trump threatened to destroy the economy of a fellow NATO ally?)
    You mean Turkey? Hahaha. Follow the real estate.

    I read the article that inspired his Normandy speech https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...-wars-n2554328 and don't entirely disagree with it, but aren't these kind of pullouts normally negotiated with the parties involved? Seems like protecting our Kurdish allies could have been addressed then. You know, the "art of the deal" and all that.

  3. #13
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,971
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    ... but aren't these kind of pullouts normally negotiated with the parties involved? Seems like protecting our Kurdish allies could have been addressed then.
    I'm no great fan of the US having troops all over the planet, and spending more on our military budget than pretty much the whole rest of the planet combined. I'd be quite happy reducing our presence, and not getting dragged into regional affairs, or trying to play The Great Game with other world powers.

    However, I also think that "once you've broken it, you've bought it". In situations where we've already been involved, we need to detach a bit more mindfully.

  4. #14
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,902
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm no great fan of the US having troops all over the planet, and spending more on our military budget than pretty much the whole rest of the planet combined. I'd be quite happy reducing our presence, and not getting dragged into regional affairs, or trying to play The Great Game with other world powers.

    However, I also think that "once you've broken it, you've bought it". In situations where we've already been involved, we need to detach a bit more mindfully.
    I don’t necessarily disagree except I don’t know that we broke it. The Middle East is a shit show. We didn’t create that. I would accept that we have added to the instability. But the long-term hatred among people there for each other? Not my problem.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    However, I also think that "once you've broken it, you've bought it". In situations where we've already been involved, we need to detach a bit more mindfully.
    THIS!

  6. #16
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    And ask yourself - who benefits from all of this?

    (Did you see the bit the other day where Trump threatened to destroy the economy of a fellow NATO ally?)
    I think Putin is the chief architect and beneficiary of all the chaos he's created. I'm sure he finds it all very amusing--Brexit, Steve Bannon and his Traveling Bund, and Trump's deranged tweeting. I really hope we survive.

  7. #17
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,971
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I think Putin is the chief architect and beneficiary of all the chaos he's created.
    I think he's succeeded beyond his wildest hopes.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think he's succeeded beyond his wildest hopes.
    Makes a person wonder what deal trump struck with putin to put a trump tower in Russia?

  9. #19
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,971
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Makes a person wonder what deal trump struck with putin to put a trump tower in Russia?
    If Putin is using Trump, I suspect it isn't anything as unsubtle as Bond movie-style blackmail or Manchurian Candidate sort of things.

    I think he's just playing on Trump's psychology. That's far cooler, actually. Well played.

  10. #20
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If Putin is using Trump, I suspect it isn't anything as unsubtle as Bond movie-style blackmail or Manchurian Candidate sort of things.

    I think he's just playing on Trump's psychology. That's far cooler, actually. Well played.
    I can't figure out Lindsey Graham's lightning-fast about face on Trump. Kompromat or the worst case of Acquired Sycophancy Syndrome ever?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •