Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CNN's Town Hall LGBTQ event tonight

Under federal law are certain specific protected classes of employees. Discrimination in hiring/firing decisions based on any of these classes is illegal. They are:

Race.
    Color.
    Religion or creed.
    National origin or ancestry.
    Sex.
    Age.
    Physical or mental disability.
    Veteran status.
    Genetic information.
    Citizenship

Everything else is fair game. Sexual orientation is a perfectly legitimate reason to fire someone under current federal law.

Age discrimination is really not enforced though, yes it's technically illegal, but pro-publica had a whole bunch of articles on how it's not enforced even to the degree that other protections are. I live in fear of eventually reaching my un-employable age (50 something I guess).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The simple way to solve the problem is to have the feds take over religion. Beto is already talking up punishing churches who don't preach to his satisfaction, essentially promoting a state religion.
    Sort of like the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association? Why would someone who didn’t share Catholic values want to work in an institution built around those values? And should government interfere on their behalf? Would the position of pro life staffers at Planned Parenthood be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That’s disgusting! I didn’t realize some people aren’t protected.
    Doesn’t the term “protected classes” imply that some are and some are not?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Sort of like the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association? Why would someone who didn’t share Catholic values want to work in an institution built around those values? And should government interfere on their behalf? Would the position of pro life staffers at Planned Parenthood be the same?
    Come now, pro-life staffers at Planned Parenthood are guilty of Wrong-think, they not saddled with an intrinsic characteristic that puts them in a vulnerable position.

My gay Catholic friend kinda looks at the Catholic Church’s position as the Church doesnt have a problem with
    homosexuals, it has a problem with homosexual activity. To some this is a difference with no distinction kinda like love the sinner hate the sin but it makes sense to me.

But I think the real life application, and this is just me spinning theory, is that likely the Church wants its gay sons to join the priesthood. That keeps them out of harm’s way (theoretically!) and also swells their numbers which are dwindling precipitously. win /win.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

But I think the real life application, and this is just me spinning theory, is that likely the Church wants its gay sons to join the priesthood. That keeps them out of harm’s way (theoretically!) and also swells their numbers which are dwindling precipitously. win /win.
    For a long time they were able to keep the priests out of harms way. The alter boys, not so much.

Surveys have shown that catholic parishioners ignore their church's leaders on the subject of marriage equality, with something like 60% supporting it. They also differ from their leadership on birth control, with 98% in a survey a few years ago saying that they had used birth control at some time in their life.

Why would someone who didn’t share Catholic values want to work in an institution built around those values? And should government interfere on their behalf?
    because they need a job? And it might be some generic position having little to do with Catholicism that they are qualified for, maybe administrative stuff etc.. I mean the fantasy world where people work only in institutions sharing their values is nice, but not one many of us live in. Until pretty soon we're at: why is someone concerned about climate change working at an airport, why is a vegetarian working at McDonalds etc. etc. Uh no doubt because they needed the job. Like I've said, I have a few lines in the sand, that I've stood by come heck or high water, very few because otherwise I'd starve.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’m only commenting on what anyone with half a brain can see is reality about typical republicans.
    I'm still intrigued by the idea of a typical republican. Where do they fit on the bitter clingers to deplorables scale and how do you recognize one?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Someone said (I got that "source in the wind" trick from Trump/Fox News) recently that he was pleasantly surprised to meet a Republican whose moral compass didn't point to their wallet. I thought that was a fair characterization of many conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Someone said (I got that "source in the wind" trick from Trump/Fox News) recently that he was pleasantly surprised to meet a Republican whose moral compass didn't point to their wallet. I thought that was a fair characterization of many conservatives.
    That's funny! It fits nicely with my occasional surprise to meet a liberal who's moral compass also doesn't point to my wallet.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's funny! It fits nicely with my occasional surprise to meet a liberal who's moral compass also doesn't point to my wallet.
    Ba-da BAM!

Ladies and gents, Alan will be here all week

Thread Information