Thread: Sprouting - how do you handle the seed hulls?

Sprouting - how do you handle the seed hulls?

Hi! I've increased my sprouting and have found a wonderful recipe for mung bean sprouts. However, trying to separate the hulls is tedious. My current method is to put all the sprouts in a huge bowl, fill with water and scoop out the hulls that separate. Not all of them do, however. I don't mind eating a few, but not as many as seem to remain. LOL. I do have the canning jar sprouting lids with the bigger holes, but the hulls really do get caught up in with the sprouts themselves. Anyone have any other suggestions or a favorite method?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I do what you state and eat the remaining hulls. Must get my sprouting going again. Thanks for the reminder.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Thank you, razz. I guess I will continue as I've been doing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

With mung bean sprouts I use a large bowl full of cool water. I find that the hulls tend to float, and the floating hulls tend to adhere to each other. So in a large round bowl I start the water in a circular motion. While inertia keeps the water moving, I skim hulls as they collect in the central vortex of the water and the perimeter. This method does not get all the hulls … just the floaters. This is a "final" step between sprouting (for about six days at room temperature) and storage in refrigerator.

I understand that 25-35 grams of total fiber per day is recommended for a healthy diet. (And the average American consumes about 15 grams.) The sprouts, separated from hulls contain soluble fiber, but I have a hunch the hulls are mainly insoluble fiber. So I happily eat hulls of mung beans.

Thanks, dado potato. I used a bowl of water, but never did the swirling bit. I'll give that a try. I'm thinking maybe I should see if I can get used to eating the hulls! If they really do have some health benefits, it couldn't hurt! Thanks for the input!!

Just a little update - my sprouting is going strong! As suggested above, I've been *trying* to let go the habit of totally gleaning the seed casings from my sprouts. Not too hard with the smaller seeds, but for some reason, I just can't let mung bean casing remain - lol. I like to think I'm getting better about not picking ALL of them out.

Re: sprouting containers - I've pretty much run the gambit and tried trays, "specially design" sprouting cups, etc. I always come back to canning jars with the sprouting lids.

Have a great day, everyone.

I found the same thing with the jars being the best.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

re mung beans.

I always have some beans that fail to germinate... I am currently working through a 4 lb package of "Spicy World of USA" brand, which is imported from India.

If any you good sprouters are getting close to 100% germination of mung beans, I'd appreciate knowing who is your seed supplier. (I get close to 100% from hulled barley, khorasan wheat, and daikon radish, so I like to think my equipment and rinsing methods are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    re mung beans.

I always have some beans that fail to germinate... I am currently working through a 4 lb package of "Spicy World of USA" brand, which is imported from India.

If any you good sprouters are getting close to 100% germination of mung beans, I'd appreciate knowing who is your seed supplier. (I get close to 100% from hulled barley, khorasan wheat, and daikon radish, so I like to think my equipment and rinsing methods are OK.
    This is one of the companies I was referred to on these forums.

https://www.trueleafmarket.com/colle...nt=38639419720

Thread Information