Thread: Sprouting - how do you handle the seed hulls?

Sprouting - how do you handle the seed hulls?

Hi! I've increased my sprouting and have found a wonderful recipe for mung bean sprouts. However, trying to separate the hulls is tedious. My current method is to put all the sprouts in a huge bowl, fill with water and scoop out the hulls that separate. Not all of them do, however. I don't mind eating a few, but not as many as seem to remain. LOL. I do have the canning jar sprouting lids with the bigger holes, but the hulls really do get caught up in with the sprouts themselves. Anyone have any other suggestions or a favorite method?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I do what you state and eat the remaining hulls. Must get my sprouting going again. Thanks for the reminder.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thank you, razz. I guess I will continue as I've been doing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

With mung bean sprouts I use a large bowl full of cool water. I find that the hulls tend to float, and the floating hulls tend to adhere to each other. So in a large round bowl I start the water in a circular motion. While inertia keeps the water moving, I skim hulls as they collect in the central vortex of the water and the perimeter. This method does not get all the hulls … just the floaters. This is a "final" step between sprouting (for about six days at room temperature) and storage in refrigerator.

I understand that 25-35 grams of total fiber per day is recommended for a healthy diet. (And the average American consumes about 15 grams.) The sprouts, separated from hulls contain soluble fiber, but I have a hunch the hulls are mainly insoluble fiber. So I happily eat hulls of mung beans.

Thanks, dado potato. I used a bowl of water, but never did the swirling bit. I'll give that a try. I'm thinking maybe I should see if I can get used to eating the hulls! If they really do have some health benefits, it couldn't hurt! Thanks for the input!!

Just a little update - my sprouting is going strong! As suggested above, I've been *trying* to let go the habit of totally gleaning the seed casings from my sprouts. Not too hard with the smaller seeds, but for some reason, I just can't let mung bean casing remain - lol. I like to think I'm getting better about not picking ALL of them out.

Re: sprouting containers - I've pretty much run the gambit and tried trays, "specially design" sprouting cups, etc. I always come back to canning jars with the sprouting lids.

Have a great day, everyone.

I found the same thing with the jars being the best.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

re mung beans.

I always have some beans that fail to germinate... I am currently working through a 4 lb package of "Spicy World of USA" brand, which is imported from India.

If any you good sprouters are getting close to 100% germination of mung beans, I'd appreciate knowing who is your seed supplier. (I get close to 100% from hulled barley, khorasan wheat, and daikon radish, so I like to think my equipment and rinsing methods are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    re mung beans.

I always have some beans that fail to germinate... I am currently working through a 4 lb package of "Spicy World of USA" brand, which is imported from India.

If any you good sprouters are getting close to 100% germination of mung beans, I'd appreciate knowing who is your seed supplier. (I get close to 100% from hulled barley, khorasan wheat, and daikon radish, so I like to think my equipment and rinsing methods are OK.
    This is one of the companies I was referred to on these forums.

https://www.trueleafmarket.com/colle...nt=38639419720

Thread Information