Thread: First Fire in the Wood Stove!

First Fire in the Wood Stove!

It dipped down to about 25 degrees last night, so K. laid a fire before we went to bed so he could light it first thing in the morning. I haven't had wood heat in over 25 years, so I am going to have to get back into the rthym of that. We bought two cords of stove-length wood a few weeks ago and I bought a small hatchet yesterday so we could make kindling. What we forgot we needed are fireplace tools! A poker, a tong, a shovel and an ash bucket (on the never-ending shopping list).

The house will stay quite warm for awhile by itself from the heat radiating up from the earth through the tile floors, all the southern-facing windows and the passive-solar greenhouse. It is still getting up into the 70's during the days, so I think it will be a little while yet before we experience the true bone-chilling cold up here in the high desert.

Oh yeah, we need to buy a bunch of weatherstripping too.

You are making some interesting discoveries with your house and I am so glad that you are including us in your journey. It is fun to read about it.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Oh a wood stove, I love the sound of that. I am also in an area that gets pretty warm and then drops at night. It is great your home is one that doesn't freeze!

I've always enjoyed being in a room heated by a wood fire. I don't have that in my house, so I definitely consider it a treat. I'm glad you are enjoying your new house - congrats!
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I fired ip our gas fireplace in Hermann last week for just a moment to make sure it was still working. To me it’s magical to have a fire that works with the head of a button. We have a wood fireplace in the city and that is nice but it’s a big deal to make a fire.

Yesterday we had a first — I drove DH around in my red convertible with the heat blasting in our face, it was cold enough to do that. I’ve been looking forward to that for quite a while. DH has an old Mercedes-Benz SL convertible that lacks functioning Heat or air conditioning, so we haven’t had a fun winter time top down driving experience until now.

I fired up our gas fireplace in Hermann last week for just a moment to make sure it was still working. To me itís magical to have a fire that works with the hit of a button. We have a wood fireplace in the city and that is nice but itís a big deal to make a fire.

Yesterday we had a first ó I drove DH around in my red convertible with the heat blasting in our face, it was cold enough to do that. Iíve been looking forward to that for quite a while. DH has an old Mercedes-Benz SL convertible that lacks functioning Heat or air conditioning, so we havenít had a fun winter time top down driving experience until now.

I fired ip our gas fireplace in Hermann last week for just a moment to make sure it was still working. To me itís magical to have a fire that works with the head of a button. We have a wood fireplace in the city and that is nice but itís a big deal to make a fire.

Yesterday we had a first ó I drove DH around in my red convertible with the heat blasting in our face, it was cold enough to do that. Iíve been looking forward to that for quite a while. DH has an old Mercedes-Benz SL convertible that lacks functioning Heat or air conditioning, so we havenít had a fun winter time top down driving experience until now.

Thread Information