Thread: First Fire in the Wood Stove!

First Fire in the Wood Stove!

It dipped down to about 25 degrees last night, so K. laid a fire before we went to bed so he could light it first thing in the morning. I haven't had wood heat in over 25 years, so I am going to have to get back into the rthym of that. We bought two cords of stove-length wood a few weeks ago and I bought a small hatchet yesterday so we could make kindling. What we forgot we needed are fireplace tools! A poker, a tong, a shovel and an ash bucket (on the never-ending shopping list).

The house will stay quite warm for awhile by itself from the heat radiating up from the earth through the tile floors, all the southern-facing windows and the passive-solar greenhouse. It is still getting up into the 70's during the days, so I think it will be a little while yet before we experience the true bone-chilling cold up here in the high desert.

Oh yeah, we need to buy a bunch of weatherstripping too.

You are making some interesting discoveries with your house and I am so glad that you are including us in your journey. It is fun to read about it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Oh a wood stove, I love the sound of that. I am also in an area that gets pretty warm and then drops at night. It is great your home is one that doesn't freeze!

I've always enjoyed being in a room heated by a wood fire. I don't have that in my house, so I definitely consider it a treat. I'm glad you are enjoying your new house - congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I fired ip our gas fireplace in Hermann last week for just a moment to make sure it was still working. To me it’s magical to have a fire that works with the head of a button. We have a wood fireplace in the city and that is nice but it’s a big deal to make a fire.

Yesterday we had a first — I drove DH around in my red convertible with the heat blasting in our face, it was cold enough to do that. I’ve been looking forward to that for quite a while. DH has an old Mercedes-Benz SL convertible that lacks functioning Heat or air conditioning, so we haven’t had a fun winter time top down driving experience until now.

I fired up our gas fireplace in Hermann last week for just a moment to make sure it was still working. To me it’s magical to have a fire that works with the hit of a button. We have a wood fireplace in the city and that is nice but it’s a big deal to make a fire.

Yesterday we had a first — I drove DH around in my red convertible with the heat blasting in our face, it was cold enough to do that. I’ve been looking forward to that for quite a while. DH has an old Mercedes-Benz SL convertible that lacks functioning Heat or air conditioning, so we haven’t had a fun winter time top down driving experience until now.

I fired ip our gas fireplace in Hermann last week for just a moment to make sure it was still working. To me it’s magical to have a fire that works with the head of a button. We have a wood fireplace in the city and that is nice but it’s a big deal to make a fire.

Well, we need to replace the wood stove. After a few trial and error fires, there is too much smoke seeping from the warped cast iron door (we have no idea how old the stove is). Also the chimney doesn't clear the roof line enough so it's not drawing properly, and there is a small crack in one of the stove pipe sections. I had the head of our volunteer fire department come out yesterday and help us check things out.

So K. is off stove shopping today while I work. We will have a few warmer days but damn, it is cold here in the mornings without a fire going! The chimney already has another section added to it, and guide wires to hold it place in case of strong winds.

When we lived in upstate New York we ordered a wood stove made by Vermont casings. Very high quality.

Thread Information