Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Purge

October Purge

I don't see this one already started... hope I'm not generating a duplicate!

We had our town wide yard sale last weekend and I managed to get rid of about 1/3 of the things I put out. Today will be sorting and packing up the remainder for a donation pickup coming this Tuesday. It will be nice to have my "donation corner" empty... at least for a little while.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Nice, I will definitely check in when I get rid of things, I am in that mode.

Yppej
    A pair of heeled boots. I am all about comfort now.

I culled another 3 bags from Mom's house: 1 trash and 2 fabric recycling. I also did the seasonal closet clean-out at our house and got rid of 1 DH item and 12 items of my own (DH had already gone though his t-shirts and pants at other times.
    At the moment we are down 11 items for the year (11 more items out than in), which is not impressive compared to last year's 79. I assume we hit all the low-hanging fruit last year and also culled a lot of corporate wear as a new retiree.
    I haven't tracked this as precisely, but I recall trying to get down to 150 shirts; I think it was last year. I'm at 116 now which still seems excessive. I like setting round-number goals for my excesses, so I'm going to shoot for 100 by the end of 2020. The wins tend to get harder over time (no more low-hanging fruit).

Rosa, it does get harder as you declutter. I worked on our closet today and filled the garbage can. I also have a king size comforter, big dog bed and pictures that are going to friends. The comforter doesn’t fit in my washer and sick of taking it to the laundromat. I have one that fits in my washer and we don’t need more than one. I also am trying to sell the dog life jackets because they are expensive.

There's another recycling event coming up, so I will take cardboard, Styrofoam, miscellaneous scrap metal, shredded paper, and household goods next weekend. Leftover stuff will be donated.

This past week it was a pair of curtains, a pair of socks, a pair of surfwalkers, a cats paw tool, a t shirt, a box+ of books donated at the market that takes them, some metal trellises, and we donated a new magazine to the hospital when DH came home!

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    This past week it was a pair of curtains, a pair of socks, a pair of surfwalkers, a cats paw tool, a t shirt, a box+ of books donated at the market that takes them, some metal trellises, and we donated a new magazine to the hospital when DH came home!
    Funny - I just bought a cat's paw tool!

Somebody started a "little free library" at my workplace, and I donated 5 books.

Two boxes of magazines, a few books, the 2nd pair of surfwalkers, 3 shirts so far this week.

Thread Information