Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Indigenous People Day

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it applies to those crossing the land bridge from the west, but I'm pretty sure it goes against popular culture to say the same about those who came by ship from the east. Mayhem and abuse are not migratory qualities.
    Perhaps I took your comment out of context, when you said this continent's original homesteaders were invaders. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it applies to those crossing the land bridge from the west, but I'm pretty sure it goes against popular culture to say the same about those who came by ship from the east. Mayhem and abuse are not migratory qualities.
    Just recently was reading that more info has come to light that is questioning the wisdom of land bridge. Seems that some DNA is not compatible with that thinking and much reconsideration is going on.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Perhaps I took your comment out of context, when you said this continent's original homesteaders were invaders. My apologies.
    No worries, it wouldn't be the first time only I knew what I was trying to say.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Which indigenous people are we to celebrate? The deep ecologists or the imperialist human sacrifice folks? Or are we simply meant to feel a twinge of guilt for being here?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Or are we simply meant to feel a twinge of guilt for being here?
    Not for just being here, but for the way we got wealth, carried from one generation to the next, by our ancestors/our government swindling people out of their land, giving them smallpox infected blankets, and massacreing them in places like Sand Creek, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Not for just being here, but for the way we got wealth, carried from one generation to the next, by our ancestors/our government swindling people out of their land, giving them smallpox infected blankets, and massacreing them in places like Sand Creek, among other things.
    Well, feel free to pay back whatever you think you owe to whoever you think you owe it to. Even if payment only takes the form of a little handwringing.

For myself, I don’t see the necessity of keeping historical moral debt ledgers.

Which indigenous people are we to celebrate? The deep ecologists or the imperialist human sacrifice folks? Or are we simply meant to feel a twinge of guilt for being here?
    And what were we to celebrate on Columbus Day?

I don't know that there is a single answer, but we could always honor them for discovering the Americas. Or for leaving a nice pristine environment for us to occupy.

Yppej
    Well, feel free to pay back whatever you think you owe to whoever you think you owe it to. Even if payment only takes the form of a little handwringing.

For myself, I don’t see the necessity of keeping historical moral debt ledgers.
    I would start with giving back the Black Hills. No treaty was ever signed, we just took it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I would start with giving back the Black Hills. No treaty was ever signed, we just took it.
    And now we're taking native land to pillage the oil on it. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And now we're taking native land to pillage the oil on it. Some things never change.
    Heck, we basically took everything and left them with some relatively hardscrabble parcels of typically worthless land. And treaties were basically worthless pieces of paper anyway.

I would choose to celebrate a noble people who are part of our national history.

Thread Information