Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CNN's Town Hall LGBTQ event tonight

CNN's Town Hall LGBTQ event tonight

I'd be curious to hear folks' thoughts after this is done.

So far, I'm liking this format better than the Thunderdome Debate format, as each candidate is getting 30 minutes, and more nuanced responses seem to be coming out.

Watching right now. Will chime in when it's over.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I didn’t know this was a thing until this thread. I don’t watch these debates and wouldn’t change my mind because of this one. A forum to invite candidates to speak on their positions for a small community (Lgbtetc) seems self aggrandizing.

When I skim the news for a summary of this event, I see there were antics. Did someone really chide the moderator as violent for miss pronouncing her name? Was there really a lengthy protest of trans people that interrupted the proceedings? To what end?

I’m just getting this from a written account of the event.

Sounds like Theater of the absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Did someone really chide the moderator as violent for miss pronouncing her name?
    In this case 'Shea' is pronounced 'Shee-uh' and "“It’s violence to misgender or to alter the name of a trans person, so let’s always get that right first,”

It may be safer to refer to everyone as 'Hey You'
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

People have mispronounced my name. Other people have punched me in the face. I always found the second faux pas the more objectionable.

"A forum to invite candidates to speak on their positions for a small community (Lgbtetc) seems self aggrandizing."

Why? Aren't candidates invited all the time to speak to different communities, such as unions?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    In this case 'Shea' is pronounced 'Shee-uh' and "“It’s violence to misgender or to alter the name of a trans person, so let’s always get that right first,”

It may be safer to refer to everyone as 'Hey You'
    Could the signaling of virtue BE any more ludicrous?

SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    "A forum to invite candidates to speak on their positions for a small community (Lgbtetc) seems self aggrandizing."

Why? Aren't candidates invited all the time to speak to different communities, such as unions?
    One Candidate’s narrowly focused speech to — your example, unions – is not broadcast in entirety by legacy media to the entire world, pre-empting regular programming. Not regularly, anyway. Although granted, CNN is becoming more and more of a niche News outlet. So maybe that’s how I need to view it, a small news company broadcasting an unimportant political event.

If that is marginalizing the event and the audience and the content, so be it. I would argue that the participants marginalized themselves by being ridiculous.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Could the signaling of virtue BE any more ludicrous?

SMH
    We represent more disposable income on average than straight people do - supposedly, though in my life I have not always seen this to be the case. Those with money tend to not be afraid to show their support of pro gay anything via consumer spending or voting or donations. It's not entirely virtue signaling but cold blooded economic common sense for Democrats. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    One Candidate’s narrowly focused speech to — your example, unions – is not broadcast in entirety by legacy media to the entire world, pre-empting regular programming. Not regularly, anyway. Although granted, CNN is becoming more and more of a niche News outlet. So maybe that’s how I need to view it, a small news company broadcasting an unimportant political event.

If that is marginalizing the event and the audience and the content, so be it. I would argue that the participants marginalized themselves by being ridiculous.
    Speaking to the issues of a historically marginalized community in the US equals marginalizing their candidacies? Scary stuff, IL, very scary. I'm not in your face with my orientation either at work nor in the 85006.....but people very quickly know I'm gay. In my case my voice gives me away if nothing else does. Speaking to my issues equals marginalization? See why I'll never be a Conservative? My.issues as a gay man are equally as valid as any issues you might face, Thank You very much. Rob

Thread Information