Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Testimony against Trump looking damning.....

  1. #31
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,997
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    What I have learned from Austria as it applies to dating/relationships, either straight or gay. A simple question to ponder- would this person you are dating, would they have hidden a Jew or somehow else saved Jewish lives during WW2? This nugget of wisdom comes from my Austrian side and not my years in the US. Rob
    Historically, I believe most Austrians have failed that test.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    That being said, it's very Austrian to respect your station in life and dress accordingly as I've already posted. Rob
    But if nobody except you knows what your “station in life” is supposed to be, or what sort of dress is appropriate for that station, what are you “respecting” except your own personal tastes? If there are no commonly accepted standards, aren’t you just sending signals out into the ether that only you can interpret?

  3. #33
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,980
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    But if nobody except you knows what your “station in life” is supposed to be, or what sort of dress is appropriate for that station, what are you “respecting” except your own personal tastes? If there are no commonly accepted standards, aren’t you just sending signals out into the ether that only you can interpret?
    dude, dont bother with the logic.

    Rob’s real station in life is of enormous privilege: white male college educated, according to the victim assessment industry anyway.

  4. #34
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9,793
    Gosh, Rob, your sticking to "dressing according to your station in life" really puzzles me when I think about your political/socio-economic attitudes. I am a DAR, and many of. my ancestors were upper middle class. So, that means, in my example in a prior post, I should be doomed to Ann Taylor and LL Bean for the rest of my life. (I actually DO wear Ann Taylor). But I don't feel I can't wear jeans, plaid, Dockers, vintage band t-shirts, mink stoles, Carharts, Goodwill, Versace, kilts representing my husband's clan, clam-diggers, saris, leisure suits, etc. etc. That's American democracy in action.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #35
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,057
    I read online that Rahm Emanuel is saying that Mick Mulvaney better lawyer up quick! I'm loving it. Rob

  6. #36
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Gosh, Rob, your sticking to "dressing according to your station in life" really puzzles me when I think about your political/socio-economic attitudes. I am a DAR, and many of. my ancestors were upper middle class. So, that means, in my example in a prior post, I should be doomed to Ann Taylor and LL Bean for the rest of my life. (I actually DO wear Ann Taylor). But I don't feel I can't wear jeans, plaid, Dockers, vintage band t-shirts, mink stoles, Carharts, Goodwill, Versace, kilts representing my husband's clan, clam-diggers, saris, leisure suits, etc. etc. That's American democracy in action.
    Something I will share.....a secret I keep from family in Austria. Every year on May 5th I dress over my station in life at least part of the day - May 5th of course being the liberation anniversary of Mauthausen - a concentration camp outside of Linz - being liberated. Nothing Austrian compels me to do so - it just seems very much right to do so. I guess my point is it's not 100% Iron Clad. Rob

  7. #37
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Something I will share.....a secret I keep from family in Austria. Every year on May 5th I dress over my station in life at least part of the day - May 5th of course being the liberation anniversary of Mauthausen - a concentration camp outside of Linz - being liberated. Nothing Austrian compels me to do so - it just seems very much right to do so. I guess my point is it's not 100% Iron Clad. Rob
    Oops, ignore the being liberated after Linz above. Rob

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Something I will share.....a secret I keep from family in Austria. Every year on May 5th I dress over my station in life at least part of the day - May 5th of course being the liberation anniversary of Mauthausen - a concentration camp outside of Linz - being liberated. Nothing Austrian compels me to do so - it just seems very much right to do so. I guess my point is it's not 100% Iron Clad. Rob
    The US Third Army did the liberating. Hopefully the surviving occupants were not too disgusted by the nasty, unforgivable American presence. No doubt the local Austrians dressed for the occasion, having discarded any inconvenient uniforms they may have had in their closets.

  9. #39
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The US Third Army did the liberating. Hopefully the surviving occupants were not too disgusted by the nasty, unforgivable American presence. No doubt the local Austrians dressed for the occasion, having discarded any inconvenient uniforms they may have had in their closets.
    You are right. Americans did liberate Mauthausen. Some of the more recent inmates (being in better physical condition) made a US flag out of sheets, red felt from Nazi banners, and somewhere they found blue cloth - and made a passable US flag. Now THAT was an America to be proud of right there! It's hard for me now to believe that America ever existed. Rob

  10. #40
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Now THAT was an America to be proud of right there! It's hard for me now to believe that America ever existed. Rob
    It still does, it's a shame your anti-american indoctrination won't allow you to see it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •