Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gender divide on minimalism?

DH and I spent sometime in a kitchenette motel room living out of a suitcase when working on a family member's cottage. I bought the makings of a meal on the way back to the motel room each night. We did talk about the minimalist with DH commenting that we really didn't need much more. I thought about it and agreed that it was fine for a short period but not for a home. I do want to have some feathering of the nest. I have very simple wants and items last forever so rarely does much need replacing. I know that I need a bigger place than 700 sq ft at present but over time that may change.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I should say that the 530 square-foot condo I liked would only be my city place and I wouldn’t have a lot of stuff there.

My house - well, it's a house. It's a very old house that usually needs more repairs than decorations. I don't like to decorate anyway, nor do I have the money to decorate, so the house is what it is. I kind of feel that I live in my house and other people live in theirs - and they shouldn't be trying to impress me with how they live and I don't need to impress them with how I live. When family and friends come over, we get together to be with each other. If there are any judgements from others, they keep them to themselves. Things always change and my house will as well - eventually. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I sometimes think many males are not even aware of clutter or pretense. It just doesnt bother them. Maybe it is the rustic quality of your place that is pleasing. I have had several visitors say they like the minimal quality of our house but I have always liked a strong sense of order and DH has just gotten used to it by now.

SO and I are both males and we have very different opinions on our living environment. He's fine with stuff sitting all around. I very much prefer everything to have a place and be in it. We've managed to reach a truce where certain spaces, (our second bedroom which is my den that he rarely enters, and the living room, which we both use) are generally relatively tidy. I let the kitchen and main bedroom go for the most part because it's a losing battle. SO, on the other hand, is more bothered by dirtiness. I personally don't really care if there's cat puke on the carpet. In a few days it'll be dry and I can just vacuum it up. (thankfully the carpets in our place are all roughly cat puke colored...)

Wife and I have similar aspirations to simplify our life and declutter but face different challenges. For R it is about which pictures, books, and stuff from when the children were small to keep whilst for me it is about which guitars, amps, and gadgets to get rid of!

In my marriage, it is my husband who is the clutterer/needs to have tons of stuff/expansive personality.

Our 20 year marriage has been a struggle, with me liking things orderly and spare, and him dragging stuff everywhere. Because of him, I left my beloved craftsman bungalow because he dragged in stuff.

Because of him, we need a bigger house now, as we both work at home. I would love another craftsman bungalow in a town; he would love 150 acres in the country on a dirt road with a million barns to stash things.

So we will probably compromise, but it will definitely be more in his direction.

But we both love gardening and farming, so it's worth it.

Tybee, it’s for that very reason that I confine my husband’s stuff to the shed, his office and one car garage. I need neatness and order. We moved into town from a fourth of a acre because we don’t want to keep moving as we age. We have a decent sized backyard and he has a small garden with 2 patios for entertaining and space for the dogs to play. When his junk exceeds his space he has to decide what to get rid of.

We both have too much and bad habits. We’re working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, it’s for that very reason that I confine my husband’s stuff to the shed, his office and one car garage. I need neatness and order. We moved into town from a fourth of a acre because we don’t want to keep moving as we age. We have a decent sized backyard and he has a small garden with 2 patios for entertaining and space for the dogs to play. When his junk exceeds his space he has to decide what to get rid of.
    Yeah, we have a shed and barn that he fills, but the stuff has also crept into other places, and eventually, I want a house begin enough to use everything we have, and then I want to get rid of the rest.

Thread Information