Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gender divide on minimalism?

DH and I spent sometime in a kitchenette motel room living out of a suitcase when working on a family member's cottage. I bought the makings of a meal on the way back to the motel room each night. We did talk about the minimalist with DH commenting that we really didn't need much more. I thought about it and agreed that it was fine for a short period but not for a home. I do want to have some feathering of the nest. I have very simple wants and items last forever so rarely does much need replacing. I know that I need a bigger place than 700 sq ft at present but over time that may change.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I should say that the 530 square-foot condo I liked would only be my city place and I wouldn’t have a lot of stuff there.

My house - well, it's a house. It's a very old house that usually needs more repairs than decorations. I don't like to decorate anyway, nor do I have the money to decorate, so the house is what it is. I kind of feel that I live in my house and other people live in theirs - and they shouldn't be trying to impress me with how they live and I don't need to impress them with how I live. When family and friends come over, we get together to be with each other. If there are any judgements from others, they keep them to themselves. Things always change and my house will as well - eventually. LOL.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I sometimes think many males are not even aware of clutter or pretense. It just doesnt bother them. Maybe it is the rustic quality of your place that is pleasing. I have had several visitors say they like the minimal quality of our house but I have always liked a strong sense of order and DH has just gotten used to it by now.

SO and I are both males and we have very different opinions on our living environment. He's fine with stuff sitting all around. I very much prefer everything to have a place and be in it. We've managed to reach a truce where certain spaces, (our second bedroom which is my den that he rarely enters, and the living room, which we both use) are generally relatively tidy. I let the kitchen and main bedroom go for the most part because it's a losing battle. SO, on the other hand, is more bothered by dirtiness. I personally don't really care if there's cat puke on the carpet. In a few days it'll be dry and I can just vacuum it up. (thankfully the carpets in our place are all roughly cat puke colored...)

Thread Information