Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Phoenix Officer Fired

  1. #11
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,038
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Those sort of claims involving multimillions of dollars while having a valid basis are not sustainable. Taxes simply are increased to pay the premiums. If the premiums are too high, insurance companies will refuse to provide coverage harming everyone. I am puzzled by the glee at making lawyers rich and making the taxpayer poorer. It strikes me as a very destructive form of insanity. But, whatever turns your crank...
    Perhaps huge settlements are unsustainable.....but then again so is the American Militarized Srtle Of Policing which us responsible for us even having this discussion in the first place. Why shouldn't some cash in while this policing system slowly implodes? You'd think Conservatives would approve if such as cashing in is very American if nothing else. Rob

  2. #12
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,038
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Perhaps huge settlements are unsustainable.....but then again so is the American Militarized Srtle Of Policing which us responsible for us even having this discussion in the first place. Why shouldn't some cash in while this policing system slowly implodes? You'd think Conservatives would approve if such as cashing in is very American if nothing else. Rob
    should be Militarized Style Of Policing above. Rob

  3. #13
    Senior Member herbgeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,126
    Why shouldn't some cash in while this policing system slowly implodes?
    Because the money is coming out the taxpayers pockets. You seem to think that settlements/judgments are coming out of officers' personal pay, and are personal punishments. They aren't. We all pay for this.

  4. #14
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,797
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Because the money is coming out the taxpayers pockets. You seem to think that settlements/judgments are coming out of officers' personal pay, and are personal punishments. They aren't. We all pay for this.
    Then maybe we'll exert pressure on police forces to hire decent, well-qualified people and not a bunch of badge-wearing bullies.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,911
    The testing is rigorous to be a cop including psychological testing. I am speculating that 2 things happen. First some unfit people are not weeded out by the testing and then that cops start out good but become scarred by what they experience every day and end up bad. Not a excuse for their behavior. That would be a good time to find a new career but by then the pension is more like golden handcuffs.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,280
    Are we in fact suffering from a “bunch of badge-wearing bullies”, or is our media-driven perspective magnifying the impact of a miniscule minority of bad actors? Do we have more proportionately to fear from bad cops than from bad surgeons or bad truck drivers?

  7. #17
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The testing is rigorous to be a cop including psychological testing. I am speculating that 2 things happen. First some unfit people are not weeded out by the testing and then that cops start out good but become scarred by what they experience every day and end up bad. Not a excuse for their behavior. That would be a good time to find a new career but by then the pension is more like golden handcuffs.
    In Tacoma, there were red flags all over the place--including psychological test results--for officer David Brame, who somehow managed to become his city's Police chief, until the day when he shot his estranged wife in front of their children, then turned the gun on himself.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •