Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingles

I never had chickenpox (nor been vaccinated for it) and this has been confirmed, so I think shingles is not possible, but I could get chickenpox. Is it the same vaccine? And worthwhile in that case?
    Trees don't grow on money

DH finally got his first Shingrix shot. For some reason, Costco has consistently had supply issues, but we went to Stop & Shop, where the pharmacist says they haven't had supply issues at all.

You can get the chicken pox if exposed to someone who has shingles. So if you’ve had neither, I would recommend getting the chicken pox vaccine ... but I’m not sure if they give it to adults.

Web MD says yes - adults should get chicken pox vaccine if they’ve never had it.

I am always confused about this. IF a person has never had chicken pox then they will not get shingles. Is that correct? My mother and my MIL both had shingles just above their eyes and I know it was horrible. But, I didn't have chicken pox as a child and in my 20's I had an itchy rash for a few days but never knew what that was. So I can't say with 100% surety that I have never had chicken pox as an adult. Is there anyway to know this? Like a test or something?
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I am always confused about this. IF a person has never had chicken pox then they will not get shingles. Is that correct? My mother and my MIL both had shingles just above their eyes and I know it was horrible. But, I didn't have chicken pox as a child and in my 20's I had an itchy rash for a few days but never knew what that was. So I can't say with 100% surety that I have never had chicken pox as an adult. Is there anyway to know this? Like a test or something?
    Yes, that's right. If you have chicken pox, the virus never really goes away. The varicella virus is "in hiding" in your body your whole life, and then as you get older and your natural immunity starts to wane, the varicella virus can come out of hiding. (Younger people can get it, too--sometimes stressed out college students get shingles, for instance). You can get a varicella test to see if you are vulnerable (i.e., have had chicken pox etc.). I honestly know nothing about that test, but I'm sure you can google it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, that's right. If you have chicken pox, the virus never really goes away. The varicella virus is "in hiding" in your body your whole life, and then as you get older and your natural immunity starts to wane, the varicella virus can come out of hiding. (Younger people can get it, too--sometimes stressed out college students get shingles, for instance). You can get a varicella test to see if you are vulnerable (i.e., have had chicken pox etc.). I honestly know nothing about that test, but I'm sure you can google it.
    Thanks. I will check it out.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I had shot one last week and had a reaction, not fun but better than shingles

Quote Originally Posted by San Onofre Guy View Post
    I had shot one last week and had a reaction, not fun but better than shingles
    I had the first one 10 days ago and was expecting a reaction but luckily none appeared. That makes me much more likely to have the 2nd in January.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I had a mild reaction about 24 hours after getting the first shingles shot. Some night chills and perhaps a slight fever. Certainly preferable to getting shingles. I will definitely get the second shot.

Thread Information