Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shingles

I am in the second week of having shingles.

It is so bad that I wanted to warn everyone and encourage you to get the vaccine.

Back at work today with lingering pain and healing breakouts...………….

My husband had them near his eye and it left scars. I am very allergic to one of the ingredients or I would definitely get it.

There were long waiting lists for the shots at most Krogers. But our downtown store had no waiting list. Must have been due to the demographic of the population shopping there. All young, urban professionals or college students. The backlogged Krogers were much more suburban.

Oh OP, so sorry to hear this!

I had both shots fairly recently. I was on a waiting list for the first one for five or six months and then I was given priority for the second, so not so long. I had some adverse effects both times. Probably an easy description would be mild flu like symptoms for two or three days. If I were still working I might have called in a day. From what I could find out the reactions to the vaccine are more likely to cause some sort of similar effect than other common vaccines. I actually found a forum about this and the common comment was, what ever it is, it's better than getting shingles.

I run into patients here with shingles all the time. You really really don't want it.

My annual physical is next month and now that I'm 60, insurance will cover the vaccine. It's on my list to take care of at my appointment.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    My annual physical is next month and now that I'm 60, insurance will cover the vaccine. It's on my list to take care of at my appointment.
    Your insurance hasn’t caught up with the new vaccine! The old one was for 60 and over. The new one is 50 and over.

I never had the chicken pox, nor the vaccine. Both of my kids got chicken pox as kids and of course I nursed them through it. Hubs had the shingles in his eye, and Dr. Kind of freaked out - too close to the brain.

Hubs should get the shot, but my doc says no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    I never had the chicken pox, nor the vaccine. Both of my kids got chicken pox as kids and of course I nursed them through it. Hubs had the shingles in his eye, and Dr. Kind of freaked out - too close to the brain.

Hubs should get the shot, but my doc says no for me.
    I'm glad to hear that. Like you, I've been exposed to chicken pox, but have never had it, and I don't plan to be immunized.

Thread Information