Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Working vs Not Working on US Retirement

Maybe they would not come here to begin but stay in their countries of origin Rogar. Instead of getting their healthcare in the most expensive place on earth on someone else's dime they could pay what medical tourists like Rob do, because people like Rob can't afford what it costs here since he works for a living and is not eligible for all the freebies.

It sounds like I should get a green card!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    How many of us run into a tax shirker like Jeff Bezos in our daily lives?
    Probably not enough of us because we could probably use lots more Bezos types. People think of his operation as a tax shirker because he reinvests so much money into the business that the credits designed to incentivize that sort of thing come into play. What the federal government would normally claim as its own then goes to local workers/business partners and the like. Those credits actually create more opportunity in the areas in which they operate than the federal government could ever provide with the same money. Plus, Amazon pays over a Billion $ per year in state and local income taxes, further enhancing the areas in which they operate. I think we could use lots more tax shirkers like Bezos.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Maybe they would not come here to begin but stay in their countries of origin Rogar. Instead of getting their healthcare in the most expensive place on earth on someone else's dime they could pay what medical tourists like Rob do, because people like Rob can't afford what it costs here since he works for a living and is not eligible for all the freebies.
    I actually think the majority of qualified aliens actually come here for work. Homeless citizens who could actually work is another can of worms. But like i said, there are bigger problems in my book.

ETA, My question is, what qualifications are required to be over 65, come to the country, and then become a qualified alien. How common is this and how much of an impact is it on costs to welfare systems.

How many of us run into a tax shirker like Jeff Bezos in our daily lives?
    How precisely is he a "shirker"?

There is an alternative minimum tax, so everyone should be paying some taxes. Those who do not are shirkers.

Yes, you can come here under chain migration prior to age 65, never work, and collect at 65. Or you can come at 65 or older never work and collect if you are a chain immigrant. All you need is a relative already in the country who signs that they will sponsor you. Then despite that promise you can get some free government bennies like Medicaid immediately. Others like EBT you gave to wait 5 years for.
    Last edited by Yppej; 10-24-19 at 10:20pm. Reason: Correct EBIT to EBT.

There is an alternative minimum tax, so everyone should be paying some taxes. Those who do not are shirkers.
    That's not exactly how the AMT works...

Correction: everyone making over $191,100 a year should be paying taxes. I should not have written everyone should be paying taxes. It is only everyone rich who should be paying alternative minimum taxes. Bezos makes more than $191,100 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It sounds like I should get a green card!
    My take is that since your are a youngster in relative terms, you'd have to pay into the system and meet the same requirements as us citizen commoners to get SS? A green card might still come in handy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    My take is that since your are a youngster in relative terms, you'd have to pay into the system and meet the same requirements as us citizen commoners to get SS? A green card might still come in handy, though.
    Find a relative who will support you until you are 65. Why work? Why leave your house when the weather is cold? Why learn English? You don't have to pay in, you can still collect.

Thread Information