Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Flu Shot

I'm with frugal-one. I'm definitely not an anti-vaccer, and I have done enough research on vaccines to know that they are effective for the most part. I get angry with anti-vaccers who skip the childhood immunizations, because they don't seem to realize the horrific consequences of all those diseases that killed children or maimed them.

I guess my not doing the flu shot is partly due to what frugal-one said about the limited efficacy of the vaccine, along with a bit of hubris on my part. I don't mingle with people much, except for the decreasingly frequent plane travel I do. I feel I have a very strong immune system still, although I know that is diminishing over the years, just because of the aging process. And the third reason I don't do it is because I am lazy about medical stuff. I haven't seen a doctor in 3 years, and I know I should.

DH needs to get his flu shot, OTOH. So maybe when he goes to get his, I'll get one. Maybe.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wonder what all these vaccinations do to our own immune systems as there are so many of them now. It is crazy how many vacs kiddos have to get now.

Supposedly we are naturally exposed to many more pathogens than we have vaccines.

But the interesting issue to me is how many people are agitated over too much government intervention when it comes to firearms, but the same anti-government bias doesn't seem to extend to forced or coercive medical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Supposedly we are naturally exposed to many more pathogens than we have vaccines.

But the interesting issue to me is how many people are agitated over too much government intervention when it comes to firearms, but the same anti-government bias doesn't seem to extend to forced or coercive medical treatment.
    There is too much federal government intrusion in our lives. The feds making laws about mandated vaccines would be more of the same, unwelcome.

Flu vaccine efficacy varies from year to year, and is usually higher than 29%. 80,000 people die annually in the U.S. from flu complications.

Kids are required to be vaccinated to go to school, forced medical treatment of adults by and large doesn't even exist (even forced psychiatric treatment is usually pretty limited is my understanding - it's why the streets are full of crazies) so that's why noone bothers to get upset about it for the most part.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Apparently there's a new approach to flu vaccines in the works. This appeals to me more than never-ending vaccinations, but Pharma will probably price it accordingly:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1025094024.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Apparently there's a new approach to flu vaccines in the works. This appeals to me more than never-ending vaccinations, but Pharma will probably price it accordingly:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1025094024.htm
    Makes me think of that Star Trek episode The Mark Of Gideon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mark_of_Gideon
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Makes me think of that Star Trek episode The Mark Of Gideon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mark_of_Gideon
    Yeah--that may not be far off the mark some day.

Thread Information