Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Hunger (Intermittent Fasting) & Longevity

  1. #11
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16,541
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Sorry, but the story is pretty fake. They dont eat as much processed foods, carbohydrates, sugar, etc. I was always full with balanced meals of a reasonably small amount of protein, rice, vegetables, pickles and soup. Often not much difference between the 3 daily meals. Desserts are a special treat.

    I would say they appear to eat less than an American diet with much higher quality ingredients.
    I remember where I heard that about the Japanese and I guess you’re right it was just someone’s opinion. The guy we know who is a Chinese businessmen said that about his trip to Japan.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Sorry, but the story is pretty fake. They dont eat as much processed foods, carbohydrates, sugar, etc. I was always full with balanced meals of a reasonably small amount of protein, rice, vegetables, pickles and soup. Often not much difference between the 3 daily meals. Desserts are a special treat.

    I would say they appear to eat less than an American diet with much higher quality ingredients.
    I believe my issue has always been "quantity". It is said that it takes about 20 minutes to feel full, but I can eat so much in that 20 minutes! So quantity - and probably "speed eating" - I wonder if some kind of fasting could help with these issues.

    Thanks for the thread - this is definitely something to think about.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

  3. #13
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,065
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I believe my issue has always been "quantity". It is said that it takes about 20 minutes to feel full, but I can eat so much in that 20 minutes! So quantity - and probably "speed eating" - I wonder if some kind of fasting could help with these issues.

    Thanks for the thread - this is definitely something to think about.
    I'd much rather eat one big, satisfying meal and be done for the day than six little ones that only make me hungrier than when I started.

    Gin Stephens has a podcast you can listen to: http://www.ginstephens.com/
    Lots of anecdotal info and links are available.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Gin Stephens has a podcast you can listen to: http://www.ginstephens.com/
    Lots of anecdotal info and links are available.
    Thanks!!! I bookmarked this and will definitely give it a listen.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

  5. #15
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    9,649
    I used to be a fast eater but with implants on the bottom and a top denture it takes me forever to eat. Plus the denture covers a lot of my taste buds so basically eating has become a job. I was thinking yesterday how much more time I would have if we had no need to eat)

  6. #16
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    10,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I used to be a fast eater ... I was thinking yesterday how much more time I would have if we had no need to eat)
    I am a very fast eater, and DH is a very slow eater and he's always scolding me for eating so fast, but in my mind eating is a task you have to check off a to-do list. I am definitely not a foodie in terms of the hedonistic aspect of it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  7. #17
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,065
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I am a very fast eater, and DH is a very slow eater and he's always scolding me for eating so fast, but in my mind eating is a task you have to check off a to-do list. I am definitely not a foodie in terms of the hedonistic aspect of it.
    I had a friend who was the same--she ate like it was her job. Felt eating was a waste of time.
    I'm not ashamed of thoroughly enjoying good food, one of life's simple pleasures.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    9,649
    I liked eating more when I had my own teeth.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •