Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forced gaiety aka you WILL participate in the party!

Forced gaiety aka you WILL participate in the party!

Work has been OK lately, but now the manager and supervisor (both women) have a bug up their butt that EVERYONE will wear full costume on Thursday for Halloween. Big party. I was told to come in my wetsuit, bring all diving gear.

I am flat out refusing. They have never worn a wetsuit and even my thin one would be too hot for the office. Plus very uncomfortable for the day, even with the top ball around my waist. It would be very uncomfortable and that means I am not productive at all. It’s the last day of the month and they always push us to get everything possible done and billed.

I actually said I was not going to participate in “forced gaiety.” I’m actually being told I’m not a team player. What a bunch of BS.

Male managers don’t do that shit.All of the birthday parties etc. at my workplaces over the years were female instigated.

But you could —and probably should —comply partially and dress in black pants and black turtleneck. Bring fins to waddle around in for five minutes along with a mask. It is the team spirit not the actuality that they want to see, rah rah.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Male managers don’t do that shit.All of the birthday parties etc. at my workplaces over the years were female instigated.

But you could —and probably should —comply partially and dress in black pants and black turtleneck. Bring fins to waddle around in for five minutes along with a mask. It is the team spirit not the actuality that they want to see, rah rah.
    No black jeans but I do have black leggings. That would work. I don’t mind the goodies. Or the kids coming in at the end of the day in costume, but yeah, the women are crazy about this crap.

That kind of thing (office politics) was why I always volunteered to work off-shift. But I worked in an overwhelmingly male environment, so we didn't have much "team building" nonsense.

Just tell them it would make you uncomfortable. Apparently making someone uncomfortable is now illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I actually said I was not going to participate in “forced gaiety.” I’m actually being told I’m not a team player. What a bunch of BS.
    Tell them they are mocking an important religious holiday of yours, and you don't appreciate it....

I have a black Tshirt that says This is My Halloween Costume. We wear it each year in October.

I like the idea of black top and either a turtleneck shirt or tshirt and call yourself Steve Jobs or Elizabeth Holmes. Make a name tag.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I definitely vote for black pants and black turtleneck and a mask/goggles.

We had a Halloween party at work once. It was a pain, as much as I enjoy Halloween. I went as a tacky Joisey Girl. My inspiration was Melanie Griffith in Working Girl. I teased up my hair, wore a lot of makeup, wore a fake fur leopard coat. I've been in places where some bonding activities have been a lot of fun, and others where it was definitely "forced gaiety."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My wife's special needs class of 1st through 5th graders had a halloween party yesterday. Teachers and aides dressed as characters from Toy Story, my wife was Mrs Potato Head and gaiety did ensue.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    At my previous job it was the male CEO who forced gaiety both at Halloween and Christmas. Throughout the year he would also walk around and ask, "Is this the happiest place on earth?" The only acceptable reply was an enthusiastic yes. It was like North Korea or a cult.

Thread Information