Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often?

Good job Alan. I've gone in the other direction and am eating out more since retirement. DH is still working and he is the cook though. Mom and Sis like to go out to lunch a lot, but Mom always insists on picking up the tab. It's one of the few areas in life that still make her feel empowered and I'm more than happy to oblige. So overall, I would say an average of 1 - 2 times per week.

Maybe once a month, but often less (quarterly?). The food around here just isn't that good: lots of deep fried pub food. We had one restaurant we really liked for special occasion meals, but they just retired this summer. I'm usually just deeply disappointed compared to my own cooking. Its often heavy on meat, light or absent vegetables and way over priced for what it is.

Lunch maybe once a week. I can drop by a Whole Foods close-by and get a healthy lunch that doesn't cost a lot. Dinner every month or two. I don't particularly care fore being waited on for a real sit down meal but it's unavoidable for some social things.

My husband has been gone for 2 weeks and I have eaten lunch out daily and then I am done eating for the day. I have lost weight.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    2-3 times a week, at least one of us.
    Ditto. But we don't do fast food joint except for the occasional burger/fries at a local family owned place that cuts their fries and makes their burger patties right there.

We go out to eat what I don't make at home.

A few times per month sit down and rarely fast food (except Subway on occasion). Like Alan, the food eaten out usually is not as good as my own.

Takeout/delivery? Hardly ever. I'm home to cook and between wanting to eat ketogenic and what DW prefers to eat, the pickings are either slim or rather expensive (Bite Squad, DoorDash, etc.). The closest I get is rotisserie chicken, which will feed us for two or three meals and provide a soup carcass for later.

Fast food: both of us maybe 6-8 times a month, usually with work friends, so it's a social event more than an interest in eating the food at wherever.

Sit-down restaurants: maybe 8-10 times a year; not every month. Same deal as with takeout -- it can be tough for me to find something to eat that's not another salad or a meal in which I don't have to pass on the sides or the sauce or whatever.

This is a marked reduction from what we did while I was still working and even a reduction from what we did a few years ago before I went keto. I still like the idea of going to restaurants, but making it a reality just often seems like more effort than we want to expend.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm going to over guesstimate and say once a month. If we eat out as a family - even if it is fast food, the bill usually ends up being about $40+. Sit down dining is usually $65+. When our weekly groceries run $55-75, it's hard to justify paying a full week's worth of groceries on one meal. That said, we do go out for birthdays and Airplane Days (special family celebration). So, all of that said, we are probably eating out about the same - which, again, was never much to begin with.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Sit down and have a waiter, maybe once a year. Drive through/fast food/sandwich at local convenience store at least a couple times a week, since I am out and about picking stuff up for work.

Maybe brunch/lunch once a week. Dinner out has to be an occasion or while traveling. We both love to cook, try new recipes and have the time to do so. IMO, many restaurant meals do not offer a good value other convenience for the price paid. Plus who knows what is in it or how processed it is. Excess sodium, sugar etc.

Thread Information