Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Do mean actual sit down restaurants or fast food (McD’s, Subway, etc.)?
    Either or, Tradd. What I'm getting at is meals away from home. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This one is interesting for me as I eat out every day I work - a shift meal is provided, and when I work lunch and dinner as I often do, I can access two meals a day at someone else's expense. Other than that, I rarely eat out these days unless I'm travelling. I've got my favorite place in Algodones now and they make excellent chicken/shrimp/chipotle/avacado/mango salads. Rob

Once a week. We've cut WAY back on fast food. Our average spend for a dinner for two adults is around $15-23 total. We don't drink alcohol and usually get just one soft drink, or none at all, and no desserts or appetizers.

Off topic a bit, but when I first became interested in living more frugally, the two biggest wins for us were a dramatic decrease in recreational shopping (me) and a decrease in dining out. There has clearly been a lot of backsliding in the dining out dept. We tend to spend in the range of $80 - $150 for the two of us. We went to the Legal C-Bar the other night and spent $150 including tip: 1 beer, 2 glasses of wine, a shellfish trio sushi roll, 6 oysters on the half shell, a smoked salmon avocado toast appetizer, and a crab cake with shrimp and scallops entree. On the one hand, that's a lot of money, but on the other hand, everything was perfectly wonderful and it's not stuff we have at home. We both thought it was worth it.

One of the reasons I don't eat out much is that, as a tourist community, prices here are insane.

A burger and fries at the local pub, nothing special, will cost a bit over $20 with tip, and that's before you order any drinks.

I can cook a nice steak at home for less than that by far.

Thread Information