Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soup Season has begun!

Soup Season has begun!

It's a wet, rainy, windy, dreary day in my little piece of the world, so I have declared it to be the beginning of Soup Season in our household! I have just loaded up the crockpot with the makings of a lentil, carrot, chicken soup. I'm not sure if my sourdough bread will be done by then, but I'm planning on making some corn muffins just in case.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yay!!! I was thinking the same thing. A couple of days ago we had some loose ground MacKenzie sausage in the refrigerator, so I made a sausage veggie soup. It was delicious!

I love love love lentil soup, but DH isn't crazy about it, so I make one version for him without lentils and another for me with them. Same for barley soups.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have been making crockpot soups and stews for a few weeks now.

We have a lot of garden produce to use up.

Now that I have an embarrassment of Instant Pots, I should make some hearty soups. I love chicken gumbo, and turkey meatball. And chili. I think I'll have BBQ pork curry today.

I am on the same page. I had sprouted some legume seeds resulting in bout 2 cups of them after a couple of days. Last night I made soup with chicken bouillon, lots of diced carrots, celery and onions. Added a bay leaf, thyme and fresh ground pepper and had a lovely warm bowlful over brown rice today. It is what my DH used to call a 'dank' day - cold, windy, drizzly, cloudy day - so a substantial hot soup is perfect. I finished with a cupful of blueberries with a small topping of whipping cream as the perfect indulgence on a dank day.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am on the same page. I had sprouted some legume seeds resulting in bout 2 cups of them after a couple of days. Last night I made soup with chicken bouillon, lots of diced carrots, celery and onions. Added a bay leaf, thyme and fresh ground pepper and had a lovely warm bowlful over brown rice today. It is what my DH used to call a 'dank' day - cold, windy, drizzly, cloudy day - so a substantial hot soup is perfect. I finished with a cupful of blueberries with a small topping of whipping cream as the perfect indulgence on a dank day.
    Yum, razz!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Making Shrimp Tom Kha tonight which I guess is like soup though we serve it over rice. Many more to try with some of the winter squash I grew.

I do chicken noodle in my InstantPot. Need to branch out.

Those of you who are decent cooks will probably not think anything of this tip, but I’m finally making soups that are tasty because I have learned that

1) Brown the meat with onions/garlic, or saute tomatoes with Onion/garlic, before throwing all of the ingredients into the pot

2) use “ Better Than bouillon chicken” or beef stock —it’s heavily flavored, but I think it’s richly flavored.

3) Cookm the main body overnight on slow, and then toss in vegetables if appropriate for the soup in the morning so that it’s ready to serve at noon.

In the old days I used to balk at having to cook something on top of the stove and then having yet another step with adding vegetables, but now that I am retired it’s not such a pain and the end result tastes so much better.

Yesterday I took an odd (as not sure how I ended up with it) package
    of Cream of Asparagus it called for 1 Cup milk and 3 cups water.
    I used homemade chicken broth with chicken in place of the water
    and added a cup of mixed veggies.
    That was supper last night with a few slices of toast.
    Of course is made two very large bowls so I added a cup
    of cooked red lentils to it this morning and it was breakfast.
    Very tasty and filling!
    Today I made a large pot of Beef Stew for supper and
    will freeze some for extra meals.
    I used to freeze my soup in bags but, I have been trying to use less
    of them, so started freezing it in the 8oz size of sealer jars.
    Just the right amount for lunch once you add a starch and
    some veggies.
    This why I don't get tried of it because every bowl is a new
    and different experience. All depends on the leftovers and/or
    frozen veggies/or fresh I add to it.
    Great way to use up stuff...lol

Thread Information