Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labels

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Only some labels. Levi’s I find to wear forever, certain shoe brands for fit and comfort. I could care less about a car. If it gets good mileage and runs when you turn the key I’m good. I buy my clothes at a church thrift store so obviously labels are hit or miss. They have to be almost brand new (some still have tags) and fit well.

To the extent it signifies anything. My laptops are brand name (Dell and Lenovo), yea I've tried off brand computers before, nope. Some of my shoes are SAS (San Antonio Shoes) as they do make them in the U.S.A. and I like that. Etc. To impress anyone? No I don't care. But do I wear the cheapest clothes out there? Nah and not the most expensive (because I'm not spending all my income on clothes here). Because I do actually dress for a station, I just want to look the part around the office. Do I believe it's a major factor in anything? How my career goes etc?. No, no, no, 1000 times no. It's not a BIG factor at all, but a tiny little one, maybe as frankly are a lot of intangibles, so I do it.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I have found labels can be useful for indicating quality in whiskey and power tools, but little else.

I don't care about labels. I buy stuff because it meets my needs. Never had one of those big KitchenAid stand mixers sitting prominently on my kitchen counter because I don't need one. A handheld is fine for what I do with a mixer. We had a KitchenAid hand mixer because they were well-built, not because it made me feel more special to own a KA or that anyone else ever saw it. When it died we replaced it with a thrift-store Mixmaster that sits in a cupboard except for the few times it actually gets used. It was cheap and it will run for the rest of our lives (the KA did not).

I (more or less happily) pay "the Apple tax" for our computing electronics because I've liked the environment for 30+ years now, it mostly "just works", and I use the daylights out of whatever it is I've purchased from them, for years. But if someone can't tell the difference, for their needs, between an Apple product and someone else's, I tell them to buy the brand they want and save some money up front.

If anything, maybe I care more not to flash labels around. I found a great casual shirt in a thrift store some years ago. Right color, right price, everything -- except for the darned polo-player logo on the front. I don't like to advertise any company for them unless they're paying me to do so.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Generally I do not buy anything for the sake of the label; as others have stated, price and quality are more important.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information