Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labels

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Labels

How do you feel about labels? Case in point: I'm so anti the concept that I recently bought a few pairs of jeans at cringe Wal Mart.....cheap and no label. I've pretty much applied this to many areas of my life since I arrived here in 2005. Rob

I care about function.

Sometimes the name of the manufacturer signifies the quality I am looking for. Most of the time it doesn’t though because I don’t know the manufacturer.

Sometimes at the thrift store the label signals certain things to me for, instance, I saw three pairs of slacks by Alfred Dunner which tend to be petite ( short) sizes for little old ladies. They’re not anything I wear yet someday it might be something I wear!

I love my Fiatta car because it has a “label” or badge in the front that says ABARTH. No one knows what that means. Love the anonymity of that and it suggests a car that’s more expensive than it really is, so in that case yeah I’m a label snob.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sometimes the name of the manufacturer signifies the quality I am looking for.
    Yes, that's true. And sometimes the fit of certain labels you get used to is different from the fit of others.

I bought a really nice sweater/hoodie at LL Bean, and I love it, but I have to admit, I'm almost embarrassed wearing it up here with the label on the front among my rural VT friends, who are not at all like the Burlington Vermonters. The Burlington folks are the Bobos in Paradise who proudly wear their Patagonia and LL Bean.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm agnostic. I recently had a conversation questioning why someone would pay a small fortune for an Iphone when you can get a perfectly good alternative for much less. I don't have much brand loyalty, but if a product suits my needs, I'll consider it before other manufacturer's offerings. Maybe that's the secret to Apple's success.

I rarely care unless it signifies quality such as a Maytag washing machine.

Yppej
    I usually don't care but I do love my Tims which are warm, comfortable, durable, and have a good tread for snow and ice. Upending expectations about what a woman my age should wear is a plus.

I don't normally pay much attention to labels, with just a few exceptions. My butt looks great in Levis 501's so I have several pair. They look especially nice as I'm getting into and out of my Ram truck which tows my camper as if it weighs nothing at all. I'm also now enamored with my Pixel phone because it's not an Apple and I'm convinced that Android enhances sexy nerdiness for everyone paying attention.

When I read the foregoing to my wife she applied another label she thought might apply, but I try not to share too many personal details to the world at large, especially if it hurts my feelings, so you'll have to guess at that one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

For me, it's price and function before label.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I could care less about labels. I look for fit and/or function. Used/new-don't care.

Thread Information