Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I知 selling my plane

I expected maybe you would say your changing to a different plane with one of those backup parachute systems.

I wonder on the specs of the crashes that were mentioned above. How many of them were in bad weather with pilots that were not instrument rated?

Aw, I am sorry that happened, I know you loved that plane.

I would buy the biggest, fastest, coolest boat I could find and a house on the waterway to dock it. Very fun for the whole family, and entertaining.

It's hard to overcome fear of flying, especially in small plane--my ex had a plane and I found it absolutely terrifying.

A boat, on the other hand, would have been heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Heck, I'm getting my license this coming year.
    I知 surprised you haven稚 been flying around prior to this, given your location and other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’m surprised you haven’t been flying around prior to this, given your location and other factors.
    So far I've just been going down to the airfield and sticking out my thumb, which has worked reasonably well.

As my mother is aging, I'd like to be able to get her over for medical appointments more easily and predictably though, which this would help with - she's not really up for the crossing in a small boat on some days.

This thread stirred up the old croc's love of old planes.

CF-BHS, a Norseman bush plane, "the scarlet woman", owned by Lambair, based in The Pas, Manitoba, Canada. She is now permanently bolted on a stand in Thompson, MB, equipped with floats, not skis.

Lambair went out of business in 1981. Lamb's motto was Don't ask us where we fly, tell us where you want to go.

http://www.lambair.com/page28/page39...e51/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've flown over a million miles, and a pilot who wears a crisp uniform and sounds "mature," confident and experienced on the PA system still makes me feel more at ease. dmc, I'm sure you sound confident and experienced. Maybe you should have invested in a pilot's uniform.
    I used to be a nervous flyer too. And then a friend of mine whose son was a pilot in the miltary said they flew constantly in these buckets that were barely held together with spit, duct tape and prayer with constant in-flight emergency alarms. Whereever the military funding is going, it's not going to the cargo planes.

Once I heard that, I relaxed since I know that commercial aviation is really driving a Greyhound bus in the air. The "drivers" are better trained and the buses are better maintained. Less nervous, not that I fly anymore.

But private planes? No thank you.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

I grew up in Alaska. Father was only survivor of a small commercial plane crash (all eight others died including the pilot). He lost his partner in a small plane crash and knew many who survived and who did not in small plane crashes. No way am I ever getting on anything smaller than a large jet. I still pray taking off and landing and want to kiss the ground whenever I get off.

Sometimes it is hard to ignore a woman's intuition. She would have worried about you even if she was no longer flying. I recall a simple living member (Jill Sanders?) whose husband went down in his small plane. She disappeared from the forum after that happened.

I love flying in small planes. Especially vintage ones. Big ones, not so much. I've grown up with planes, although I'm not a pilot - my DB and SIL flew a wing-walking act all over North America for many years, my father was taught to fly by a Tuskegee Airman. My mother stopped work on her private pilots license because she said when pregnant with me it got too uncomfortable to climb into the cockpit, and then was "too busy" -so all my fault, lol. Took my first flight at 5 days old in my dad's Aeronca Champ. DH and my first home together was on an airport - the house, before we moved in, had actually been clipped more than once by a taxiing airplane. My first child spent many happy hours in the airport office since my aunt and cousin babysat her and my brother and uncle ran the airport. Both my kids love to fly. Dangerous? Not really all that bad - the glide path of a small plane is pretty long, and around here, there are plenty of places to set down a small plane. In more mountainous areas, not so much, though - I get that. But wherever you are, airliner glide paths tend to be much more - ah, vertical. I know people who have died in small planes, sure. And in car accidents, bike wrecks, and tractor roll-overs, among many other things. I think we all live much of the time with a false sense of security. Of course it makes sense to do the risk/reward comparisons, and then do what you love, as safely as you can. I remember Jill. Even though she lost her DH in a small plane crash, she was interested in setting up a scholarship or something for aviation students in his memory, because she wanted his love for flying to play forward. I thought that was lovely.
    Last edited by early morning; 8-7-20 at 12:16am.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    I used to be a nervous flyer too.
    I'm not a nervous flyer--With over a million miles in the air, I'd have been better off in another occupation if I were! I love flying. I was just pointing out how a pilot's demeanor can instill confidence in their skills.

However, while I'm comfortable in commercial planes, including small ones, I definitely would not want to fly regularly in a private plane. There are just too many accidents in private planes. Gee--just look at the people in the music industry alone who we have lost: Ricky Nelson, Patsy Cline, John Denver, Buddy Holly.

I'll stick with the planes with redundant systems and pilots who got their training in the Air Force.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information