Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a manufactured home in a mobile home park?

We have considered it but are leery of not owning the lot. Pros are usually tight communities who look out for each other and low maintenance. I have read several articles that investors are buying up mobile home parks. Not sure I would believe in the 65 yrs as even the owners would be gone by then if not before.

A park here got bought and people had to move their homes which isn’t easy or cheap to do.

It's interesting the stigma that manufactured homes have. The reality is that these houses are built to standards comparable to stickbuilt houses with 2x6 studs, lots of insulation, decent quality cabinetry, and layouts that make them not seem like they came from a factory. But at the end of the day I just don't think I can get past the uncertainty about renting the land. Moving the thing would be expensive and require finding/buying land where we can resettle it, an expensive and dreadful chore. It's too bad because the houses were great, community seemed pretty nice, the location great, having a little outdoor space but minimal maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My father lives in Palm Springs.

He had rosy visions of what it would be like...

Have you lived there before year-round? It's pretty brutal for part of the year.
    We've received mixed reviews of the weather from friends who currently or used to live there. I don't think I'd particularly enjoy the summer months, but then I also don't enjoy winter months most other places, and I much prefer too hot if I have to choose between too hot and too cold/wet/gray. If I were moving somewhere strictly based on weather I'd move to San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    ... I much prefer too hot if I have to choose between too hot and too cold/wet/gray. If I were moving somewhere strictly based on weather I'd move to San Diego.
    Dad moved to Palm Springs from San Diego.

"Too hot" doesn't express the fullness of the horror :-)

Well San Diego aint everything.

My neighborhood recently saw a retired couple move from San Diego back to, well, my neighborhood. The man of the house was the 3rd neighborhood President, way back in the 70’s. They bought a Victorian house to fix up. Like, they hadn't already done that before. And here.

some people (like me!) like doing the same thing again and again.

I live in Florida, so it's not California.

I have stayed in the off season in a resort in transition from RV park to Park Model homes. There's been four park ownership sales in six years. There are continual improvements. However, the rent has increased a steady bit over the years, so the easily affordable has become a stretch for the longer residing residents which then results in unit sales - often at low prices just so the owner can get out quick before another payment is due. $1000 rent at 5% annual increase easily becomes $1600 in ten years span.

Normally the new ownership is only required to honor the terms of the old owner until the end of the homeowners lease - so you may find a new corporate owner and all you'd thought would remain is changed with ~ 1 to 11 months notice.

Insurance is a niche market for manufactured homes. Which results in higher prices. Not every insurance will write for a manufactured home.

One pays a tangible tax and gets a sticker much like a boat registration. You don't pay property taxes, since you don't own the property. Service, therefore, may be privately provided and not from the local government. (Our local park has their own water and sewer company).

https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/...lead-for-help/

This type of greed is what would stop me.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

San Diego weather is lovely. But it’s way too crowded for me. IL, maybe your neighbor missed his friends and family. The old homes by you are great but I wouldn’t want to live in a unsafe neighborhood especially as a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    San Diego weather is lovely. But it’s way too crowded for me. IL, maybe your neighbor missed his friends and family. The old homes by you are great but I wouldn’t want to live in a unsafe neighborhood especially as a senior.
    ”Safe” means many things to many people and some of us are tougher than others. No shame in that. And truthfully, this neighborhood is “safer” now than when Jerry renovated his first house 40 years ago. Then it was a red light district with hookers, drunks, boarding houses as his neighbors.

And in a way, the support of city fathers has come full circle since Jerry’s initial buy in the 70s. Back then, City Hall considered our neighborhood a shxt hole and city services were hard to get. That is what made people here tough, fighting for our neighborhood.

In today’s environment the city prosecutor considers the concerns of middle-class folks here in their faaaaancy Victorian mansions to be of no value. No service for us! So what goes around comes around.

Thread Information