Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a manufactured home in a mobile home park?

No - I live in tornado alley.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    No - I live in tornado alley.
    If palm springs was tornado prone I wouldn't either. But since the most likely "bad scenario" here is earthquakes a manufactured home actually seems like a good choice. After all, if it can withstand the bouncing around that comes with being dragged down the highway from the factory to the home site surely it could withstand a little shaky shaky from an earthquake.

My friend/relative just mentioned a manufactured home was for sale in their neighborhood. I was tempted. The idea of spending so little to have a nice private place is fun to contemplate.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My friend/relative just mentioned a manufactured home was for sale in their neighborhood. I was tempted. The idea of spending so little to have a nice private place is fun to contemplate.
    I seriously thought of buying one that went up for sale a couple years ago. Both timing and financial situation would not support such a purchase then. But, I am seriously thinking of starting to look around again.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Anyone have ideas for a good deal for BIL? Sorry to perpetrate the saga, but he is down to about half of his ingoing stash before he left for CA. At that rate, he's going broke even faster than I thought. It's only been 7 months. What would you do with 50K if you were BIL and had no skills and no job and were about to be 57 years old? Not to hijack the thread--I'm thinking specifically of places where you could get a manufactured home for a cheap price and low HOA fees.

I've ignored him for 7 months, but now I feel it's in my best interest to "suggest" alternatives to San Diego. His SRO place is forcing him to sign a 6-month lease, which will completely render him destitute.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Would he be open to Florida, or only CA? I don't know anything about CA, but Florida looks promising.

He needs to get out of Southern California. Places in New
    mexico and texas would be more affordable and still mild-ish weather, tho hot summer.

He doesnt get to live in San Diego, he didnt pay the dues.

But he doesnt have the brain power to think this dilemma thru so you will do it for him? Then he can blame you when he is unhappy and poor, because it WILL happen. $50,000 is peanuts. Sooner or later he will be destitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Would he be open to Florida, or only CA? I don't know anything about CA, but Florida looks promising.
    I've pushed Florida for the past 3 years. Seems much more suited to his personality, capabilities (golf cart boy/pro shop worker), and financial situation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm sorry, Catherine, that you're caught up in this. Some people are just feckless.
    I have no good ideas.

Catherine- Indiana? All I know about it is that mobile homes are very inexpensive there, and there seems to be lots of golf carts there, lol.
    (I’m in a couple of Facebook groups for remodeling mobiles, and golf cart maintenance)

Your BIL is in one of the very most expensive places in an extremely expensive state. If I didn’t have a great deal where I am, I would be moving out of California. Our real estate, taxes, and gasoline are the highest, by far, in the country.

And mobile home prices are ridiculous too. A 49 yr old single wide down the street from me just sold for $84k. Totally insane, could buy a new one for less than that.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 11-25-19 at 4:04pm. Reason: Clarification

Thread Information