Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a manufactured home in a mobile home park?

There are mobile home parks in California where units cost millions (?). I know this 'cuz I saw it on the teevee.

https://www.businessinsider.com/luxu...le-home-2019-9

He should look in the area around the Villages and Orlando because of access to golfing jobs.

Catherine, sorry to hear this.

This is a nice one--maybe he could rent out one bedroom.

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/ap...008488451.html

The Villages area is unfortunately not a low cost area but I agree with Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    The Villages area is unfortunately not a low cost area but I agree with Florida.
    Yes, I checked into it upon Tybee's advise and they start at $160.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, I checked into it upon Tybee's advise and they start at $160.
    No, I did not mean in the Villages. I meant move to a mobile park community near the Villages. Sorry, I was not clear. I read the book about the Villages and I envisioned looking in the surrounding area within half an hour of the development. In the book it mentioned service workers living commutable to the Villages itself.

I found this one, east of the villages, for example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...83470222_zpid/

It is a sixteen minute drive to the Villages.

With two beds and two baths, he could rent one out, perhaps. Lot rental is only 255/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    No, I did not mean in the Villages. I meant move to a mobile park community near the Villages. Sorry, I was not clear. I read the book about the Villages and I envisioned looking in the surrounding area within half an hour of the development. In the book it mentioned service workers living commutable to the Villages itself.

I found this one, east of the villages, for example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...83470222_zpid/

It is a sixteen minute drive to the Villages.

With two beds and two baths, he could rent one out, perhaps. Lot rental is only 255/month.
    That's exactly what I was thinking about!! He could plunk down 30k and own the darn thing and only have to worry about utilities and HOA fees.

DH has suggested things like that, and he says "But if I put 30k on a house, I only have 20k left" and my thinking goes, "what happens when you have 0 left and still no roof over your head??" This is the kind of dysfunctional financial awareness that he has. I do think in the back of his mind he can couch surf with his brother, SIL, niece and nephews for the rest of his life if things get really bad.

I may actually try to talk to him today and send him that link, just as an "oh, someone I know has a place like this....gee, and it's only 29k to OWN it!" Something like that.. I really think it's time for THE TALK--even though he probably won't hear me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Have you told him, clearly, that there is no place for him with you? I mean, having a specific conversation with no wavering, that he may not stay with you? That doesn’t mean that he will believe the message but if you say it very clearly, your conscious can be clear.

The reason I ask this is because it wasn’t all that long ago that you were planning a house move from New Jersey that included your brother-in-law, that was just a few years ago so He may have the idea in his mind of an atmosphere of welcoming.

Also if he says only have $20,000 left after buying a place, do you ask him “what happens when you have zero left?” I mean have you talked about it? That is, if you are going to get involved which I’m not saying that you should.

I think that whatever happens he’s going to end up with zero dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Have you told him, clearly, that there is no place for him with you? I mean, having a specific conversation with no wavering, that he may not stay with you? That doesn’t mean that he will believe the message but if you say it very clearly, your conscious can be clear.

The reason I ask this is because it wasn’t all that long ago that you were planning a house move from New Jersey that included your brother-in-law, that was just a few years ago so He may have the idea in his mind of an atmosphere of welcoming.

Also if he says only have $20,000 left after buying a place, do you ask him “what happens when you have zero left?” I mean have you talked about it? That is, if you are going to get involved which I’m not saying that you should.

I think that whatever happens he’s going to end up with zero dollars.
    I have told him, in that I've impressed on him that this is a VERY SMALL HOUSE. I might not have said, "which means you can never live with us"--maybe I'll try to be that straightforward in "the talk"... (I don't remember the move that included him--unless it was a long time ago, when I thought I could buy a 3 unit place for DH/me; BIL; Tenant. That was ages ago.)

I truly don't understand him. Three years ago he was having a nervous breakdown because he was broke, so we sold the house, he got the money, and so why did he not learn from that lesson? Why did he spend 7 months in a high-rent area without even lifting a finger to get a job to replace the some of the money he's tearing through??

Thread Information