Thread: Rojava's threatened anarchist government

Rojava's threatened anarchist government

Trump's decision to back off Syria and leave the Kurds to their own defenses was probably ill-advised, from a foreign policy perspective, according to some of his own advisors as well as many others.

Last night I watched a film called The Accidental Anarchist, about a British diplomat who got disenchanted with the ways of the current Western world and started to explore alternatives to capitalism. He learned that a group of people, mostly Kurds, settled Rojava, which occupies parts of northeast Syria, and created their own "un-government". Here is a description:

“It’s difficult to overstate how radically politics have been transformed in Rojava since its ‘self-administration’ was formed in 2013. Rather than revolving around a single strongman or a central authority, the territory is organized into cantons, largely self-governing regions with their own decision-making councils and institutions…

“Each canton is split into neighborhood or village communes. …One that I visited encompassed 257 homes. Every two years, its residents elect a man and a woman who manage neighborhood concerns and meet with the co-chairs of other communes to address community issues. The commune sold gas for heating and cooking, managed health care, developed local economic projects, and helped reconcile neighborhood disputes. One commune I visited had recently helped reconcile a marital dispute and set up nighttime patrols to improve safety. Another was planning to install streetlights.”

Bauer says there has been a feminist social transformation:

“Probably the most dramatic effect of the Rojava revolution has been its impact on women. Every public institution, from communes to courts to canton ministries, is chaired by a man and a woman. The cantons require that at least 40 percent of all political positions are held by women. While Syrian law is based on Shariah, Rojava’s ‘social contract’ separates religion and state. It has abolished forced marriage, polygamy, and child marriage…”

Trump has put Rojava in grave danger, as Turkey will now try to re-claim the land. Syria may want to get in on it as well. After all, Rojava sits on oil-rich land. https://www.boulderweekly.com/opinio...ojava-project/

So maddening. This community has proven that people can live inclusively, communally and cooperatively and with limited social or political hierarchies. But the world Takers have to ruin it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Really interesting to read.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So sad. I've known for awhile that the Kurds have been moving toward a more egalitarian society--really revolutionary stuff.

Really sad that they have a good thing going and it may be ruined.

The lesson here is that if you want a viable political entity, relying on outside parties to safeguard your independence is a mistake in the long term.

It sounds like they've realized the dream of local government without outside influence for at least a few years. Larger government looking to control the locals always finds a way to force their way in. I'm left wondering if it's best to have big government swoop in all at once or by small increments over time such as ours did, and continues to do?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It sounds like they've realized the dream of local government without outside influence for at least a few years. Larger government looking to control the locals always finds a way to force their way in. I'm left wondering if it's best to have big government swoop in all at once or by small increments over time such as ours did, and continues to do?
    I don't think.you'd be happy in Austria - with the government, the widespread social welfare, and with the way people think. No problem there, it just struck me as I read this that Austria would not be a good fit for you. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I don't think.you'd be happy in Austria - with the government, the widespread social welfare, and with the way people think. No problem there, it just struck me as I read this that Austria would not be a good fit for you. Rob
    I spent a couple of days each in Innsbruck and Salzburg about 20 years ago and found them to be lovely places filled with friendly people.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It's generally a pretty conservative country, governed by a conservative, with growing far right power recently. But OTOH the Green party has been gaining in power even more recently with people concerned with climate change, so that's a good development. And the far right which was gaining power is now drowning in scandals involving Russians. I'm glad we don't have anything like that here.

Anyway the Kurds and the anarchist feminist government, yes I've read about that.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information