Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's Ukraine Behaviour...

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Can the people who commissioned the Steele Dossier and then used it as a pretext to spy on their opposition credibly claim the moral high ground?
    Who commissioned the dossier and was it illegal, such as obstruction of justice or abuse of power? Pretty much ancient history now but maybe it's all in Hillary's missing emails.

Why is it relevant to Trump's impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Who commissioned the dossier and was it illegal, such as obstruction of justice or abuse of power? Pretty much ancient history now but maybe it's all in Hillary's missing emails.

Why is it relevant to Trump's impeachment?
    Does 2016 count as ancient history? I don’t think the funding provided by the Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee was necessarily illegal, but using it to get FISA warrants seems aromatic of an abuse of power to me. The whole thing certainly doesn’t strike me as “we go high”.

LDAHL, with due respect, if there was anything substantial to your issues I suspect the conservatives would love nothing more than another diversion from the real impeachment allegations. I've n ot heard it mentioned at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    LDAHL, with due respect, if there was anything substantial to your issues I suspect the conservatives would love nothing more than another diversion from the real impeachment allegations. I've n ot heard it mentioned at all.
    I bring it up as a counter to the assertion that the Democrats are paragons of virtue who would never stoop to the vile tactics of the Republicans. I understand there is an ongoing investigation. I agree that any case against Trump should stand on its own merits, but admit that the virtue-signaling is somewhat rankling.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Offering up a partisan web site as your authority is a bit like citing Fox News as an authoritative source.

The previous administration and the Mueller probe would have been delighted to use it to bludgeon Trump with it had there been anything they could have used.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

Starting timer...
    Well, that didn’t take long.

What is the Fox/Republican take on the Steele dossier? I haven't paid attention, natch.

Seems to me it was just oppositional research into a political rival. But I could be wrong.

At any rate, it would be in a different category than international extortion by a sitting president, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    At any rate, it would be in a different category than international extortion by a sitting president, surely.
    What if the sitting president being extorted says he's not?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What if the sitting president being extorted says he's not?
    Of course he does--he wants support from the U.S., and/or he doesn't want to be on the receiving end of Putin-style retribution. Kind of like the battered wife who insists she's just clumsy. Fortunately, there are transcripts.

Thread Information