Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Klutziness Becomes A Big Problem

When Klutziness Becomes A Big Problem

I may have talked about this before, but my accident-proneness and klutziness is taking a toll on me! Being 5'9" tall with long limbs, I have always run into things, banged my head on stuff, slammed doors on fingers, forgotten to take one extra step around things, therefore resulting in many thigh and hip bruises over the years, etc, etc.

Sometime during the Wholefood years I fell on the ice outside when on a smoke break and hurt my back and shoulder (but it did get me to quit smoking). The summer of 2015 I fell down my steps back in Michigan which resulted in breaking my big toe badly, and with severe bruising and wrenching of every other part of my body. Spring of 2017 I fell while hiking and tore up my left knee which resulted in a knee arthroscopy later that fall. Then the wrist stuff started happening. When we moved into the house in late August I tripped on the loft stairs and fell on both wrists, then three hours later I fell out of my new office chair with wheels when it squirted out from under me, landing on both wrists AGAIN!

Fast forward - I had the right wrist surgery 2.5 weeks ago even though my left wrist is messed up again (confirmed by latest MRI). I have been healing up pretty good on the right side, so much so I was spending some time out of my brace so I could do light housework, the dishes, etc. Last night I was going up the three steps into the living room when I caught my toe and tripped, landing me on the scar site (still very tender) and on top of the metal plate on the ulna bone (outside bone of fore arm ). I also smacked my left wrist and hand really hard and bruised up my shin.

It is getting really embarrassing how accident-prone I am and it makes me worried as I get older. The new house is like a split-level, three or four steps up to each level. One of the problems is the steps are either really old large wooden beams or stone (they DO look really cool!) and are slightly uneven. The seller did put in handrails that I use *most* of the time (but apparently not last night). We also have a lot of night lights illuminating potential problem areas. But really all of this is due to my carelessness? not having a sense of where my body is in space? a visual perception problem? I have no idea, and now I think I have sent my wrist healing back quite a few notches. Anyway, I go back to see my orthopedic surgeon on Nov. 11. Whenever I go to the doctor anymore they always ask if I have fallen "due to a medical condition" and I tell them, yes, I have fallen, and is general klutziness a health condition now? Or sometimes I catastrophize that maybe I have underlying MS or something drastic that no one has caught yet....

I have always fallen a lot my whole life. I have broken ribs twice, broken wrist, broken finger and bad concussion. I finally realized I am walking to fast and have forced myself to slow down. We also bought a ranch house.

Might I suggest that you ask for a prescription for physical therapy to address your proprioception (sense of body in space) issues? A good PT can really help, and this will not get any better on its own as you age. Also, I’d recommend a thorough eye exam. Sometimes tripping/falling is a function of not seeing well. Just because it’s always been a problem for you does not mean you shouldn’t address it now.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 11-1-19 at 5:20pm. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Might I suggest that you ask for a prescription for physical therapy to address your proprioception (sense of body in space) issues? A good PT can really help, and this will not get any better on its own as you age. Also, I’d recommend a thorough eye exam. Sometimes tripping/falling is a function of not seeing well. Just because it’s always been a problem for you does not mean you shouldn’t address it now.
    What great advice. Thank you!

I would also look into a yoga class.

I think some have built in radar for dealing with obstacles and perhaps a memory based on prior "accidents". I have often wondered why my gait will automatically adjust when confronting an obstacle because I know I didn't consciously "see" it. I am already regarding stairs as a potential issue in the future which is another reason I'd like to find a single level house as I get older. The radar isn't quite what it used to be.

Have you had a good general check-up lately? My dad developed diabetes and his glucose levels caused him to fall; that's how they found out about the diabetes.

I think you have a HUGE RED FLAG to become mindful when moving around. Injury from falls and running into things will become worse with aging.

I started using handrails when I injured my knee 5y ago. Even though I had a knee replacement and have fully recovered (to the point of not feeling like I had surgery), I use handrails and I won't stop. Age 58.

I agree, I think it is a lot about mindfulness. I often realize I am usually not present in the "moment." I literally have to say a mantra out loud when I am closing up and locking up for the night, "I am locking the door and the door is locked." Invariably, if I don't do that I will get a little ways down the road and start questioning whether or not I locked the door, and most of the time I will turn around and go back home to double-check and it is always locked but I have no memory of doing it. Well, a few days ago I got home and a several hours later when I was ready for bed I had this thought that I wasn't sure that I had locked the door at work. But because every single time I have had that thought and gone back to check it was ALWAYS locked, I assumed this time that I probably locked it. The next morning I got to work and to my horror discovered I had, in fact, actually forgotten to lock the front door! Nothing was amiss, but it was pretty sobering for me. Gawd, if it is already starting at age 58 I worry about things going forward! Seems like all these aging changes are happening so rapidly, so all of the sudden! I think the grieving process I have been going through has accelerated things, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    if it is already starting at age 58 I worry about things going forward! Seems like all these aging changes are happening so rapidly, so all of the sudden! I think the grieving process I have been going through has accelerated things, unfortunately.
    Running into things and falls are not part of post-menopause per se'. Is it really JUST starting? Your descriptions above sound like this has been you for a long time. It is now the time to make mindfulness your life practice.

Grief is most certainly a huge distraction in our lives. I've been overcome and overwhelmed by it many times unfortunately. That is when I learned one moment at a time-sadly, at just age 33.

I do think physical behaviors change though. My oldest sister is 69. She was at the cabin with us in July. I noticed that she drags her feet, sounds like she is shuffling. She's a healthy active person though, easily walking 5 miles/day. Why she's dragging her feet indoors is beyond me. I don't know if she noticed and I didn't say anything.

Thread Information