Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosmic Crisp Apple Excitement

Cosmic Crisp Apple Excitement

A new variety of apple will be available in stores December 1. "Cosmic Crisp" was developed by plant breeders at Washington State University over a 20-year period beginning in 1997.

"Move over, Honeycrisp... This will be the largest launch of a single variety ever, globally." - Kathryn Grandy, Proprietary Variety Management (PVM), quoted in an AP story.

PVM is assured that only licensed growers shall be able to get the trees from nurseries. PVM maintains a database which includes the GPS location of each tree, 12 million of which are planted in Washington state.

http://www.freshfruitportal.com/news...xclusive-apple

The whole fruit growing industry is fascinating to read about. Ontario has a lot of research going on at the grower level. i brought home a new trial variety recently. I had eaten it fresh, cooked with my morning oatmeal and discovered that it was very firm and sweet. It, too, was a lovely shade of red. We had so much rain that all our apples were large at the orchards this year.

I will keep a lookout for the cosmic crisp and see how the marketing succeeds.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Even though I live in Washington, I've never once gotten excited about an apple. I always associate them with dieting rules. I should really try to incorporate them into savory dishes or desserts--no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Even though I live in Washington, I've never once gotten excited about an apple. I always associate them with dieting rules. I should really try to incorporate them into savory dishes or desserts--no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Haha, IL with trees and now you with apples, Jane? I'm in love with the two apple trees I inherited when we bought our house. I was saying to DH the other day, as we were picking and eating an apple, "They say money doesn't grow on trees, but it does"--because I was thinking about how we pay $1.69 a pound for apples regularly and here we were getting them for FREE!

I love Honeycrisp--and they are so true to their name--sweet and crunchy. DH is a Delicious man, and I'm more of a MacIntosh. Fuji are great too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Aha! For once I'm on the cutting edge. I also live in WA, but I do love apples. Two weekends ago, DH and I visited Leavenworth in central WA and stopped at a fruit stand where lo and behold, the farmer was selling Cosmic Crisp! They are a very pretty apple. The tiny white speckles are what gives it the Cosmic effect. It is sweet-tart and reportedly they are easier to grow and store than Honeycrisp. Cosmic Crisp is a cross between Honeycrisp and the Enterprise apple. (Enterprise---ha, I just got that Star Trek association.) I like the Cosmic Crisp a great deal and think Honeycrisp true believers will be converted.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Oooh, I'll have to look for those. I love Honeycrisp slices covered with cream cheese and sprinkled with cinnamon.

I eat several Granny Smith apples daily. Love the tartness. Don’t like other apples.

Just found out about Ambrosia Gold.... my new favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I eat several Granny Smith apples daily. Love the tartness. Don’t like other apples.
    I womder if you can bank all those days of keeping the doctor away... 😄

Yppej
    I looked for the cosmic crispin my supermarket today and was disappointed they did not have it.

Thread Information