Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: If you were a billionaire

Of course you would pay taxes on the windfall and need to hire professional accountants, etc. We already donate to animal/people causes so that would just happen at a much larger scale. Although I love old buildings I wouldn’t put my money towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I mean, who doesn't want to donate to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pences' name (my husband laughs every time this occurs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Gard, I love your donation on behalf of pence)
    That's funny isn't it? I get giggly just thinking about all the abortions funded this way, the more the merrier, right?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thank you for the clarification on the difference between national debt and wealth tax proposed. I should know better by now than to post when I am not understanding the issues in the US.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Alan, PP spends most of the money on providing health care and birth control to low income women which prevents unplanned pregnancy. That makes me happy. Unwanted kids are often abused and raised in poverty.

Alan, PP spends most of the money on providing health care and birth control to low income women which prevents unplanned pregnancy. That makes me happy. Unwanted kids are often abused and raised in poverty.
    But it relies on donations only for abortions since it's illegal to spend government money for that purpose. Plus, as far as I know VP Pence does not disapprove of health care for women, it's only funny when abortions are involved. Right?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't need a billion, noone does. Now with a smaller amount (millions not billions), I'd buy a house, i'd help my mom fix up her house (have the urge to help now but shouldn't probably, but tired of the situation). I probably wouldn't do this job. I don't much care about charity and have little urge to give to it, although maybe I would give money to a nature preserve. If I could preserve nature I would. I would not donate to the kind of candidate that would accept that kind of donation.

It's pretty arrogant to think that if only I was a billionaire I could fix everything that isn't fixed now.
    Trees don't grow on money

Abortion is legal. I wish we would get to a place where they are unnecessary. But as long as women get raped or BC failed there will be a need. Plus most late term abortions occur when the birth defects are so severe that the baby will die shortly after birth and suffer greatly. Many were planned pregnancies and the stories are heartbreaking to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's funny isn't it? I get giggly just thinking about all the abortions funded this way, the more the merrier, right?
    Such a smart-ass. Go ahead, giggle your head off. That tells me how little you choose to understand Planned Parenthood and what it provides to communities of women. This data is from the 2017/18 report:

4,712,985STI Testing and Treatment
    741,352 HIV tests conducted
    240,489 STIs diagnosed
    2,620,867Birth Control Informationand Services
    1,870,664 Reversible contraception clients
    631,510 Emergency contraception kitsApproximately
    402,000Unintended pregnancies averted byPlanned Parenthood’s contraceptiveservices
    2570,444Breast Exams and Pap Tests
    296,310 Breast exams provided
    274,145 Pap tests performed
    70,193 Women whose cancer was detectedearly or whose abnormalities were identified
    1.2 millionPeople reached througheducation & outreach

Yes, they do offer abortion services. It is 3.4% of what they do. They provide a great deal of education and healthcare to women. I would have been 22 before I had any healthcare after age 18 were it not for PP. And free birth control until I made more than minimum wage. (because of course, it wasn't covered by insurance because pregnancy and birth are cheaper????) sigh.........

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't need a billion, noone does.

I do!

With $1 billion, with the IRS' reasonable-ish mandatory minimum distribution requirement of 5% for family foundations, I'd have about $50 million/year I could devote to philanthropy, and I think I could do a lot of good with that. And probably more efficiently and effectively than the federal, state, or local governments could.

Abortion is legal. I wish we would get to a place where they are unnecessary. But as long as women get raped or BC failed there will be a need. Plus most late term abortions occur when the birth defects are so severe that the baby will die shortly after birth and suffer greatly. Many were planned pregnancies and the stories are heartbreaking to read.
    It's tiresome that this truth needs to be restated over and over and over. "Abortion on demand" and "partial-birth abortions" only exist in the minds of the forced-birth crowd. Abortion always represents a failure of some kind, so in a perfect world it wouldn't be necessary. But this is far from a perfect world.

Thread Information